Easiest, quickest kill method

I'd recommend checking out the Meat Bird Forum. Lots of conversations on this topic. Everyone has a method that works best for them. Sometimes you have to try a couple, and it may be different depending on the size/age of bird, time of year, facilities available, etc.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forums/meat-birds-etc.21/

For quickest, least messy options for 1 yr old roosters, consider the broomstick method (sudden cervical dislocation), and the kill cone method with a sharp knife or hedge trimmers (non-ratcheting), or guillotine style pipe cutters. 5 gallon bucket beneath.

There's really only a few minutes of blood to be considered. Confining it to one area is pretty easy to do if you confine the bird.

I didn't have a good way to mount a kill cone, so I wrapped them in a towel, tucked them under my arm, held their head firmly, and sat over a 5 gallon bucket. Only takes a few minutes. This works unless the roosters are fighting you and trying to peck your face.
Thank you! I'll probably go with this! Seems easiest.

I have used the cone before and would prefer to use that, but seeing as how I don't have my own at the moment that doesn't work too well haha I know that I'll be able to do it, I was just wondering if there was an easier way than slitting the throat. Thanks everyone!

There are probably easier ways, but as far as I can tell, for butchering throat slitting is ideal.

KIMG0330_01~2.JPG
Screenshot_20230405-191412.png

Back
Top Bottom