Easiest way to get the Wormer down a Donkey's stubborn throat!!???

You can try giving him/her a few CCs of applesauce from the syringe first. Let the donkey get used to the idea of a yummy treat getting squirted into the mouth and then give the dewormer. The donkey will be surprised, but at least the dewormer is in the mouth. Then every 2 weeks just visit the donkey with a syringe filled with applesauce as a great treat and the donkey will be begging for the syringe.

The measures that have been suggested are all (well,mostly) fairly successful to try with *horses*.

*Donkeys* however can be a rather different kettle of fish. I don't know what the situation is with this donkey -- if the o.p. has not *tried* yet to train him to be (properly and coordinated-ly) paste-wormed, or tried hiding powder in molasses and grain, or using a wormer bit (which IME work poorly with ponies) or hiding wormer in applesauce, then those things are certainly worth trying, and might well work.

However there are some donkeys in this world that just Will Not Permit the taste of wormer to pass their lips and can get pretty ornery about it too. The applesauce-in-a-syringe switcheroo will always work the first time but I know one animal who will never, ever let anyone else near his mouth with a syringe of *anything* again
tongue.png
Donkeys can be particularly adamant and agile and they kick rather hard when perturbed.

If this is the o.p.'s situation, the best bet would be to either see if you can get the donk to eat daily wormer pellets; or try REAL HARD to train him to eat applesauce, and then give him a large enough quantity with the wormer in it that it is not really taste-able; or if all else fails a vet can sedate and tube him.

Donkey brains really do not work like horse brains, and they are a much more formidable and stubborn opponent if they are not on the same page as your program
tongue.png

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

I have a mini donkey so it makes it a little easier to "hold him still". I go out with the tube and do the horse first. This always gets JJ wanting whatever the horse just got. Then when its JJ's turn I rub him all over his face with the tube in my hand. Then I play with the corner of his mouth with my finger (still holding the tube with the same hand) Just when he stops paying attention - get him with the wormer and hold his head up.

Now, with JJ we usually have a few days of stink eye and the "you are not my friend" look :)

Thanks All for the suggestions!!!!

I think I'll try the applesauce method to start with ..

I just got him in the fall of last year and I worm my goats with a natural herbal wormer that works great and they love it.. Now Poncho, my donkey, liked it for a bit.. but now, he's changed his mind.. and there's no changing it back I reckon!!

so, I'm on to a different technique!

Here's to hopin' he's cooperative!

fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif

My mini shetland has a similar mindset to a donkey:
frow.gif

With my vet's approval, I gave him a small amount of worming granules in his feed every day.

So he thought that the food that came ove the stable door just tasted like that
celebrate.gif

End of discussion
wee.gif

Quote:
Use the same rotation as horse dewormer; stick the syringe into the interdental space (where the bit would go between the incisors and premolars), point as far back on the tongue as you can get it and depress the plunger. Then, massage the upper palate and tongue with the syringe, this makes them lick and helps a swallow to occur. You may want to feed a small treat beforehand so they have the smell and taste of the treat first, and won't get hit with the taste of the wormer to full effect until it's all smeared around in their mouth and they can't lose it. I have used this method on some pretty impossible horses and donkeys for people over the years and I have yet to lose a mouthful of wormer with it.

Quote:
Yep, I agree. There are a few individuals it won't work on at all, many who it will work to some degree, and a few who it will absolutely put to sleep. I have a mare that will zonk out so much when twitched you have to be careful not to make it too tight or she will get so sleepy she will fall over! She's an exception to the rule though.

Get the pour on Ivermectin for equines and use that. No sense in getting hurt trying to get it down it's throat.

Had a little mare you could not worm in any way. She tried to take my hubby's head off with her front hooves when we tried. No tricks worked on her.

Back
Top Bottom