East Tennessee?

Thanks for the words of encouragement. Yup, almost every neighborhood has a 'meanie' in it. We have 4 more years till retirement to our little spot of heaven and then I will put in a little coop and fenced run. Hubby is more nervous about the 'neighbors' than I am. I want my own eggs and the occasional stew bird. My other neighbors love it when we go down to Tenny because I almost always bring some fresh baked goodies to share!

Hi gang, been reading a pile of books and getting ready to get started with our own little flock.

Last weekend we went over to a live stock auction in Jonesborough to maybe get some chicks but none to be found. We would like to avoid mailing chicks if possible and would be willing to drive a few hours to get them. Any suggestions for a place within a few hours with a bit of a variety of breeds we could go buy some chicks?

Also the eastern TN thread I found is closed is there a new one?

Hi gang, been reading a pile of books and getting ready to get started with our own little flock.

Last weekend we went over to a live stock auction in Jonesborough to maybe get some chicks but none to be found. We would like to avoid mailing chicks if possible and would be willing to drive a few hours to get them. Any suggestions for a place within a few hours with a bit of a variety of breeds we could go buy some chicks?

Hello neighbor! I was at the livestock auction in Jonesborough last weekend too but I didn't stay for the birds.

If you are looking for a variety of chicks and do not want to have them shipped or incubate eggs, your best bet will be to wait until Tractor Supply starts having chicks in their stores in March. They will also allow you special order chicks that they do not have in stock.

Personally, I am not interested in the breeds that Tractor Supply offers so I order my chicks through hatcheries and have them mailed. I have ordered from Cackle and Ideal Poultry and have had zero losses. I just placed an order for the end of Feb. with Cackle.

If you are interested in Salmon Faverolles I will have hatching eggs and/or chicks from them available within the next couple of months.

Alex?
Are you interested in mixed breed chickens, meat breeds, or laying?
I live in Cleveland and have multiple breeds for sale, but I also have about 20-40 mixed breed juveniles available now. Btw this is a backyard flock and while 1/2 of my birds are purebreds I am not a professional breeder.

Last edited:
We're in western NC (near Asheville) and closer to most of eastern TN than we are to our own state. Mind if I come "play" in this thread? :frow

I figure on playing in this thread too, and while I do live in East TN I come from Georgia and have lived there most of my life.
Laura

Alex, I have a hatchery here in East Tn. (Delano, in Polk Co.) and should have pure breed chicks available around the first of Feb. I have 18 different breeds of chickens to choose from, these are not hatchery stock birds. they range in breeds from common Roade Island Reds, Black Australorps, Barred Rocks, etc... To rare 100% English Large fowl Chocolate Orpingtons and English Jubilee Orpingtons. I also raise Turkeys, Doves, Guineas, Ornamental Ducks, Pheasants, Quail, Geese and Peafowl. When the weather warms up and I have my first chicks available for the up coming season you are welcome to come out to the farm and check out the different breeds. Let me know if I can help!

Back
Top Bottom