East Tennessee?

Yes the English Orpingtons are big beautiful birds! I love them. I do not have a website yet, I would love to have one, I'm just not really sure how to go about it.

Having discovered the world's most wonderful dual purpose birds i no longer raise Cornish X but I'd you haven't done it then raising them once is an experience. We used to order ours to arrive the first part of September and we'd butcher right before Thanksgiving. This way it wasn't too hot or too cold when growing them out and the weather was just right for a day of butchering. We always made sure our food was at least 10' away from the water to make sure they didn't stay in one place all day. We did not take food up over night like many folks recommend to limit their intake. I'm not convinced they eat less doing that and they do gorge each morning which I think creates more problems. So we free feed the entire time.
They are easy to do. And don't let folks scare you into thinking mortality rates are high. We raise either 40 or 50 each year and never lost more than 2-4

So what is the world's most wonderful dual purpose breed? :D

Thanks for all the info and offers. We are working on a mixed flick of layers. A little hobby flock more than anything to start. The wife got excited on a hatchery site and placed a order, while I was still looking locally. So we will know for next time and be in touch. Thanks again for all the kind offers. Sure I'll be back on here for help when we screw something up.

So what is the world's most wonderful dual purpose breed? :D
I would think orpingtons....

We've had a lot of breeds we've evaluated for true dual purpose qualities since we're a self sufficient farm. The standard bred RIR are definitely the way to go. But you have to start with standard bred birds, not hatchery birds. I have some carcass pics in my pictures folder from butchering day. Awesome birds!

Strawberry Plains here! I have Buff, Lavender, and Mottled Lavender Orps, RIR's, and Cinnamon Queens. Actually, right now I have 2 Buff Orp and 2 RIR roos that need new homes. It looks as though I will have Lavender and Mottled Lavender roos looking for homes too.

Thanks for the words of encouragement. Yup, almost every neighborhood has a 'meanie' in it.  We have 4 more years till retirement to our little spot of heaven and then I will put in a little coop and fenced run.  Hubby is more nervous about the 'neighbors' than I am.  I want my own eggs and the occasional stew bird. My other neighbors love it when we go down to Tenny because I almost always bring some fresh baked goodies to share!
Hello Cassiesue I am also in Union county,but on the south end. New to the site and new to chickens. But I do work for the Co-Op and if you are a member of the farm bureau you can get 10% off your chicken feed. Just check out their website for details. Hello East Tennessee.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom