EASTER CHICKS

Miltonchix

Taking a Break
12 Years
Jul 14, 2007
Milton, Florida
Looks like there will be a LOT of free chickens in the paper soon. One of the local feed stores sold over 700 chicks this Easter. WHY!!! do people do this???
2 months from now when that cuddly chick is a chicken they'll be trying to get rid 'em. IF they survive.
barnie.gif

Next yr bring over those save a chick pamphlets. I would have slapped one on the front door. Those poor birds. I hope at least most of them will go into a good home

People do it for the business. That's probably a thousand in revinue on chicks, and if they did it right, easily a few thousand on supplies, heat, food, and a good number of years selling more feed and supplies. Just hope they did it right.

Quote:
I didn't mean any ill will toward the shopkeeper. He is a very nice guy, knowledgable, and fair. He didn't buy the chicks as Easter chicks. It was simply a matter of timing. His chick order just happened to arrive earlier than expected. Like anyone in business, he's there to make money, and more power to him. The ones I don't understand are the ones buying the cute cuddly chicks for.......WHAT? They have no intention of building a proper coop, or caring for them long term. Or, without any planning whatsoever they make an impulse purchase.

I am REALLY tired of the Easter chick subject being hashed to death. We sold bunnies and rabbits this year and I did not let anyone buy chicks in less than multiples of fives, or sell the to anyone that said "oh let's get this for so and so , she will be so mad". I had how to care for sheets on each, and told the people exactly where the items they needed were in the store and looked to see that they had everything they needed when they exited the store. Most of my chick buyers were middle aged ladies that bought 20 or 50 or old men that bought large quantities to start their flock. We sold only pure bred chicks so people didn't have to pay the high feed store prices and they got healthy, quality chicks.

Rural King, our local feed store, made everyone buy 25 at least.....sounds like a good way to root out anyone just interested in playing around. I personally wouldn't want to buy straight run chicks out in the open like that when you don't know who comes in and touches them.

I also personally visited all 4 feed stores in my area the week of Easter to check things out and do you know that one of the feed stores had their chicks on CEDAR chips AND no light? I said something to them about it and they said, "you're not supposed to use cedar?" I said no but if you insist on using it here's my card, send all your customers my way when these chicks die in a couple days.

I am so glad to see that I'm not the only one. I am sick to death about hearing how chicks and bunnies available at easter equals animal abuse. Here's a news flash for everyone who thinks so, who can't think for themselves: people get animals all the time and abuse or neglect them. On Easter, Christmas, Martin Luther King Day, and on every other stinking day of the year. Go after the abusers who abuse. Don't go after the other 99%, out of some misguided, arbitrary fairy tale theory that's nothing more than a rallying call for those who have nothing better to do than try to save a world that doesn't need saving. Chicks are no longer sold at places like the five and dime, where it was much easier to imupulse buy without the proper equipment being available. Some of them will really go wild to hear that the simple act of coloring chicks is not cruel either. And no, I don't sell chicks or bunnies.

Quote:
Agreed. Im sick of seeing it all being blamed on Easter! They DO sell chicks throughout the year. It doesnt matter when it is. And, as stated, most feedstores make you buy more than one, so what's the problem? Its not the feedstores fault if someone doesnt educate themselves first. Most feedstores ARE willing to help you out with care requirements!
roll.png

Back
Top Bottom