Easter Egg Layer?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Poyo'sMama, Feb 16, 2009.

1. Poyo'sMama

Poyo'sMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2008
    Francestown, NH
    Hi All,
    I have a couple of mixed breed hens, Dad is a Partridge Wyandotte and Moms are all kinds, including an EE. I hatched these girls myself and not one came out of a blue/green EE colored egg. This morning I found an great big blue egg in one of nests. None of hens look like EEs...any ideas?

2. cariboujaguar

cariboujaguar Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2009
    Mississippi
    I'm still trying to understand this EE thing, still not sure what exactly they are- one site called them amerecaunas (or whatever that word is...) I'll be interested to see what the experienced people say [​IMG]

3. elaucht

elaucht Out Of The Brooder

Jun 4, 2008
    I have the same thing .[​IMG] I hatched a brown egg from a friend RIR My guess is that the dad is a EE so she lays green eggs not brown but she looks like a RIR. [​IMG]

4. Poyo'sMama

Jun 2, 2008
    Francestown, NH
    Yes, they seem to call them a couple of different names, with different spellings...so what IS an EE? Is it a white chicken? My hens are brown/red, no white....

5. farmerlor

farmerlor Chillin' With My Peeps

Do any of them have green legs?

6. Southernbelle

Southernbelle Gone Broody

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    EE stands for Easter Egger, it's a generic name for any chicken that lays a blue or green egg. Hatcheries sell Araucana or Ameraucana chickens that are not true to the breed standards, are often mixed-bred and ineligible for showing, so generally they're referred to as Easter Eggers.

Your mixed bred chicken can be called an EE and probably had an EE father if she lays a blue egg. Look for greenish colored legs or a beard - a lot of EEs have those traits.

Congrats on your new layer!

7. Poyo'sMama

Jun 2, 2008
    Francestown, NH
    No green legs, yellow, a deep yellow.
    Thanks for the clarification! I guess I have an EE!!

8. dangerouschicken

dangerouschicken Will Barter For Coffee

May 6, 2007
    Columbia Gorge, OR
    Pictures of this yellow egg, please [​IMG]

I have a hen that was hatched from a green egg, but she looks nothing like an EE. I also think she is a brown egg layer. That's just how it goes sometimes [​IMG]

9. BellLisamo

BellLisamo Diagnosed w/ Muscovitis

Feb 7, 2009
    Tombstone, AZ
    Quote:mine have green legs. what does that mean?

10. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I have a Barred Rock/Blue Ameraucana cross who looks like a Cuckoo Marans with a combo single/pea comb. Most wouldnt think of her as an EE, but she lays green eggs. Here is Panda on this thread in Post #5. If you have a brown egg laying bred to a green egg layer, the eggs will be green.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=133247&p=1

Green legs mean they are EEs and not true Ameraucanas. Not all EEs have green legs, but many do. It has nothing to do with egg color.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by