Easter Egg Pullet or Cockerel?

Yep, feathered enough to sex by color pattern. He's a he, all right. And yes, that flashy pattern of red is the giveaway. Females just don't have that.

Yea that's what I figured once he starting feathering out. I have 2 batches of chicks right now, 8 EE and 8 Speckled Sussex and so far it's looking like 1 roo in each group but this one's temperament is very different from the SS cockerel. The EE is not really aggressive or anything but he does this little shuffle everytime I go to pick him up and is quite a bit more dodgy than my others. Is this typical of EE roos or should I just try to work with him more?

If he id agressive now it will get worse at puberty. Some ee roos are mean. I had one of 3 show it young against other birds. I culled him.

I haven't saw any aggressive behavior towards the other chicks so far and he does love to sit on my lap so I guess I'll just have to play it by ear for now. Thanks for all the help though, I'll try and post pics after I hear the first crow in case anyone's interested.

I prefer my males to be more stand-offish. it's a sign of respect. Coming right up to you and being comfortable on your body is not really a sign of being friendly, it's being bold. Not always a good thing in an animal that will be packed with testosterone and comes with his own built in weapons.

She was a he

Back
Top Bottom