Easter Egger Brown Eggs??

Jakico

Songster
Nov 28, 2019
I currently have 5 pullets about 6 months of age. 1 red sex link, 2 buff bramas, 2 EE. The red sex link has been laying for some time. No question, her eggs are huge, she’s top of the pecking order and first in then box. One EE has been laying some small bluish eggs. I see her in the box and eggs come about 5 out of 7 days. Someone has been laying another mystery egg, but only once a week. It’s small like the other EE, but brown. This hen is sneaky and only lays when no one is looking. It’s brown, but the same size as the EE. So question is....do EE lay brown eggs or did a brama start lying on the early end?

It depends, if it's an EE the hen should not lay brown eggs and a color close to the other hen. The egg size could be due to the fact that the egg layer is new, and many chickens lay similar size eggs, could you include pictures of the eggs?

Yes EEs lay brown eggs, Easter Eggers are basically mutts of Manny different breeds but commonly use Americauna as the base or Aracauna or even cream legbar which is why they may lay blue eggs but it's all based on Genetics so if Dad is a Americauna with a strong blue gene to a hen with a white egg gene chicks will likely lay blue eggs. But if there's a brown egg laying gene instead say, the chicks will also likely produce some form of brown egg. You must know the parents make up and then do a punnet square to tell you the odds of egg color in the offspring. My Americauna roo is a strong blue gene so even bred to my NHR hens the daughters end up with a green or pastel pink egg rather than mom's distinct brown

It depends, if it's an EE the hen should not lay brown eggs and a color close to the other hen. The egg size could be due to the fact that the egg layer is new, and many chickens lay similar size eggs, could you include pictures of the eggs?

Attachments

• 36FD55EC-5B25-4897-8100-3DBDF0AE5136.jpeg
    36FD55EC-5B25-4897-8100-3DBDF0AE5136.jpeg
    215.6 KB · Views: 16
Yes, EEs can lay eggs ranging from cream to light pinkish, to tan, to shades of bluish, greenish to olive. You can get a whole rainbow of colors, it's kind of a gamble, that's why they are called Easter Eggers. If you have a dozen EEs you'l probably get a dozen different color eggs. It's what we love about them, actually. If you want blue eggs you have to get a purebred chicken like a Cream Legbar, and EEs are a hodgepodge of breeds.

So question is....do EE lay brown eggs or did a brama start lying on the early end?

Either is possible. Most Easter eggers lay some shade of blue or green, but some do lay brown.

The mystery egg is darker than I would have expected from the EE or a Brahma, but it obviously has to come from one of them!

Have you cracked open any of the dark brown eggs? If the shell is blue-ish on the inside, it's certainly from your EE. If not, then it's still an unknown (at least until your other two hens are laying as well, at which point it will hopefully become clear.)

Either is possible. Most Easter eggers lay some shade of blue or green, but some do lay brown.

The mystery egg is darker than I would have expected from the EE or a Brahma, but it obviously has to come from one of them!

Have you cracked open any of the dark brown eggs? If the shell is blue-ish on the inside, it's certainly from your EE. If not, then it's still an unknown (at least until your other two hens are laying as well, at which point it will hopefully become clear.)
Either way I am fine with the eggs. I love them all so much. What peeves me is that the mystery egger is sooooo sneaky. She’s managed lay without being noticed... both times on a weekend when I’m home all day and usually in the yard watching them run around. I turn my back for a second and boom random brown egg in a weird spot. It’s also like she’s in conspiring with another chicken because I never find it alone. Someone’s always layed with her.

I haven’t cracked one yet. We have been eating them in order and next up is the first mystery egg so maybe that will give us some insight. My boyfriend does not seem to care in the slightest but it’s been killing me!

Back
Top Bottom