Easter Egger chick colors?

Pics
I ended up with a pullet that crowed and a roo that laid blue eggs, so I don't trust my judgement one bit when it comes to sexing these little stinkers! I just sit back and let them sort it out!
he.gif
barnie.gif
Same here. Of the seven sexed pullets I got last April one decided that when it grew up it would rather 'lay' the other hens than lay eggs. So I named "her" Chaz (after Chaz Bono)

I have 9 new EE chicks. I had a couple of EE hens before but they turned out aggressive and had to be rehomed, hope these ones will be nicer. So far they seem very friendly. Most of them are shades of blue but I have 2 chocolate ones and 1 black one.

Here's a few pics:

This is the black one.

"Pipster," one of the chocolate ones. She has super cute fluffy yellow cheeks.

One of the blues and the other chocolate one ("Junior")

One of the broody mamas with 5 chicks (4 are EEs)

One of the inside EEs. His wing feathers are coming in frizzled.

I have 9 new EE chicks. I had a couple of EE hens before but they turned out aggressive and had to be rehomed, hope these ones will be nicer. So far they seem very friendly. Most of them are shades of blue but I have 2 chocolate ones and 1 black one.

Here's a few pics:

This is the black one.

"Pipster," one of the chocolate ones. She has super cute fluffy yellow cheeks.

One of the blues and the other chocolate one ("Junior")

One of the broody mamas with 5 chicks (4 are EEs)

One of the inside EEs. His wing feathers are coming in frizzled.

So cute!

I was wondering ifor her coloring has a name? She is just getting good her neck feathers which are a gold color with darker tips, much different than her brownish/gray wings with darker tips.

I was wondering ifor her coloring has a name? She is just getting good her neck feathers which are a gold color with darker tips, much different than her brownish/gray wings with darker tips.
Oh what a pretty chick. Looks like it is going to be a partridge color of some kind. was the top of the chicks head all brown when it was in chick down? or did the chick down have a stripe over the top of the skull? Or was the head all marbled in brown and gold like a marble cake?
Best,
Karen

Here she was a month ago. She did have a light stripe on her head.
Ok. The stripe over the top of the skull denotes a bird based on the e+ ( wildtype ) allele. ( the allele is the type of basic canvas upon which other color and modifiers will be painted). Now this chick also has "marbling" on the sides of the head which would not be there if the chick was pure e+ allele. The pure e+ bird would have clearly defined chipmunk stripes its back and a clear, crisp eye stripe running from the corner of the eye across the side of the skull.
A bird can have 2 alleles making up its basic canvas, as I believe this chick does. In this case, I think the other allele is the eWh ( Wheaten allele) or the eb ( Brown) allele. I venture a guess it is the eb allele. In the eb allele in its pure form, the chick has a brown helmet of down on its head. This chick looks like a combination of the brown helmet and the head stripe. In pure eWh allele the chick down is pure very light yellow. I think this chick has way too much brown in its whole chick down color palette to have the eWh allele in its color makeup. This chick looks very much like the chick down of the Partridge Chantecler. I think this your chick will feather out to look like a Partridge Chantecler ( also known as an Albertan). Quite a lovely bird. So e+/eb allele base and then whatever other colors and modifiers it carries. In e+, the head stripe is darker than the surrounding down on the skull. I can see that in the younger picture you posted even tho it is partially obscured by the color modification caused by the eb allele.
Best,
Karen

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom