Easter Egger chick sexing......want to give it a fun guess??

Youtjatoor

Chirping
Mar 7, 2017
Fuquay-Varina NC
Hi everyone. I know its too early to sex EE's at just 2 weeks old but its fun to try and guess, but I think I have a couple Roo's so far. I attached side pics and comb pics as best I could. Let me know what you guys think. I'm getting better at sexing by colors and combs on EE's when they;re a bit older but why not try when younger for giggles right? Here goes with names. Thank you.

1. Pidgey

2. Lucy in the sky with diamonds

3. The chicken who's name shall not be mentioned

4. Emma

5. Tommy Chong

6. Megatron

The Barreds. Forrest & Jenny. I handpicked these guys myself. From what I have learned im 1000% sure Forest is a cockerel which I Chose and Jenny I was told was a barred too but im not 100% sure she is, maybe Dominiquer, but I chose her too as again from what Ive learned is a Pullet.

They LOVE the camera :)

Forrest

Jenny

Well, thats all i got right now. if you want a go at it. please do. Id like to see how on par my suspicions are. Thanks everyone, This place rocks!!!

Last edited:
Hi everyone. I know its too early to sex EE's at just 2 weeks old but its fun to try and guess, but I think I have a couple Roo's so far. I attached side pics and comb pics as best I could. Let me know what you guys think. I'm getting better at sexing by colors and combs on EE's when they;re a bit older but why not try when younger for giggles right? Here goes with names. Thank you.

1. Pidgey

2. Lucy in the sky with diamonds

3. The chicken who's name shall not be mentioned

4. Emma

5. Tommy Chong

6. Megatron

The Barreds. Forrest & Jenny. I handpicked these guys myself. From what I have learned im 1000% sure Forest is a cockerel which I Chose and Jenny I was told was a barred too but im not 100% sure she is, maybe Dominiquer, but I chose her too as again from what Ive learned is a Pullet.

Forrest

Jenny

Well, thats all i got right now. if you want a go at it. please do. Id like to see how on par my suspicions are. Thanks everyone, This place rocks!!!
Forrest is either a Barred Rock pullet or a black sexlink cockerel. Jenny is a black sexlink pullet.

Forrest is either a Barred Rock pullet or a black sexlink cockerel. Jenny is a black sexlink pullet.
I chose him cuz his legs were more yellow and he has good amount of white on his wing feathers plus the dot on his head is not super defined and goes down the neck some telling me it's a cockerel. Right?

I chose him cuz his legs were more yellow and he has good amount of white on his wing feathers plus the dot on his head is not super defined and goes down the neck some telling me it's a cockerel. Right?
Not always. Hatchery Barred Rocks are not that reliably sexed by those methods. And if you picked both Forrest and Jenny from the same bin, it is most likely you got a pair of black sexlinks. Jenny is not a Dominique. She does not have a head spot at all, which indicates the barring gene, nor does she have a rose comb.

Not always. Hatchery Barred Rocks are not that reliably sexed by those methods. And if you picked both Forrest and Jenny from the same bin, it is most likely you got a pair of black sexlinks. Jenny is not a Dominique. She does not have a head spot at all, which indicates the barring gene, nor does she have a rose comb. 
I agree with you about Jenny. I'm sure she is pullet and I'm sure you're right bout her being sex-linked. Not from same bin. Lady lost track of eggs when she collected and I just went by my gut and understanding of what to look for which I just started learning obviously. I'm just hoping he is a Roo cuZ I really wants barred roo. They just look awesome to me. But if not then the more hens the merrier as I'm certain my group of EE's have at least 1 roo if not several to choose from LoL

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom