Easter Egger club!

Do OEs (olive eggers) count as EEs?

In a way, yes. But in another way, no. :lol:

EEs can lay any color egg, from blue to green to pink to white.
OEs are usually an EE/marans cross. Since a green egg is just a blue egg with a layer of Brown "dye" on it, crossing any blue egg layer (such as legbars and ameraucanas) with a breed that lays very dark brown eggs (such as marans), will produce an OE.

Make sense?

No problem! :) I'm patrolling the website, waiting for my buddies to get on. :lol:
There is a small chance that she's a roo. Notice the dark shoulder patches on her wings. Those are a main characteristic of an EE roo, but everything else points to hen. ;)
Wait, are you saying EEs are a sex link "breed"? Because I have two EEs that both had red / dark shoulder patches as pullets, and if they're supposed to be Roos I better tell them to start laying their sisters instead of eggs!

@LilJoe
I think they are different. Don't most EE lay a bluish egg? Not a pro by any means :)
Well, technically an EE is any chicken not of a recognized breed that has the blue shell gene. So if you cross any blue egg breed with any other breed the result is effectively an Easter Egger. Since an Olive Egger is a cross between a Marans and a blue egg layer then yes, they are Easter Eggers. However due to the distinctive dark color of their eggs I would say they are more of a "sub-species" (note quotes).

EE 11.jpg

Here's my Easter Egger chick. Hatched on 5/08. She's HUGE compared to my other chicks. I wasn't expecting that. Really hoping she's a pullet.

Wait, are you saying EEs are a sex link "breed"? Because I have two EEs that both had red / dark shoulder patches as pullets, and if they're supposed to be Roos I better tell them to start laying their sisters instead of eggs!

Well, technically an EE is any chicken not of a recognized breed that has the blue shell gene. So if you cross any blue egg breed with any other breed the result is effectively an Easter Egger. Since an Olive Egger is a cross between a Marans and a blue egg layer then yes, they are Easter Eggers. However due to the distinctive dark color of their eggs I would say they are more of a "sub-species" (note quotes).

Oh no, red shoulder patches are a trait typical of roos, though not all EE boys have them as chicks. ;) The link in the bottom of my siggy is where I came by all this info.

View attachment 551006

Here's my Easter Egger chick. Hatched on 5/08. She's HUGE compared to my other chicks. I wasn't expecting that. Really hoping she's a pullet.

Aww! I love her coloring!

Back
Top Bottom