Easter Egger club!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by EastinChickens, Jun 18, 2010.

1. dlynne1123

dlynne1123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2011
    Could someone direct me, or describe, how to tell EEs from true Ameraucanas? I've purchased some eggs that I'm hoping to be future breeding stock but I don't want to false advertise or be mistaken. It wouldn't get the first time I've bought Ams, but found out EEs later on. Still love my EEs but when I sell my extra chicks I don't want to disappoint. In the meantime I'll say EEs bc I really don't know otherwise!

Thanks

2. Katt66

Katt66 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2013
    Barnesville, PA
    Ameraucanas are eight distinct color varieties with the right combs, leg color, beards, muffs, etc that breed true within their own color variety. Anything and everything else is an Easter Egger.

Even if you take a purebred Blue Ameraucana and breed it with a purebred Wheaten Ameraucana the resulting chicks will be Easter Eggers because they no longer breed true.

At least that's it as far as I understand it.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  3. FVRM

FVRM Chillin' With My Peeps

a lot of people sell blue eggs and say they're from ams because they don't know about the breed. the only way to get good purebred eggs is to buy from a known ams breeder or ask for photos of the parents. the parents should look like one of the established 8 varieties.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2014
  4. Katt66

Katt66 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2013
    Barnesville, PA
    To add to this, you will never EVER find Ameraucanas or Araucanas in a feed store, chain or "Mom and Pop" or from a hatchery.

One of the main reasons I will always go back to Cackle Hatchery. They are the only ones to my knowledge who sell their birds as Easter Eggers instead of ignorantly or otherwise deceiving prospective customers by lying about what they will receive.

You will only find Ameraucanas or Araucanas by going through a reputable breeder.

5. WildWestChick

WildWestChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2014
    Southwestern Utah
    Meyer hatchery is selling blue and wheaten ameraucanas, straight run $16.96, males $14.00, females $20.00

And my pet chicken is also selling blue and wheaten ameraucanas, straight run $17.00, males $12.00, females $20.00

I don't know how good of quality they are, but they are the only hatcheries that actually have real ameraucanas. They both also have Easter eggers too. :) and they actually list EE as Easter eggers to!

Last edited: Apr 9, 2014
  6. FVRM

FVRM Chillin' With My Peeps

I would still be skeptical about the quality. Hatcheries are not very selective about the genetics, they throw a bunch in a pen and hatch the eggs.

7. PrairieChickens

PrairieChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2012
    Kansas
    Yup! MPC actually gets their chicks from Meyers, so it's basically the same place, and they not only sell EE's, but EE bantams as well, and they make a very clear distinction between their EE's and Ameraucanas. As for the quality of their Ameraucanas, I wouldn't be the one to ask. Although I've ordered Ameraucanas from them and I think my Ameraucana pullet is just fantastic, I don't show my birds and I don't know what the SOP is for them. With any breed, I think if you want show-quality, you really need to buy from a breeder.

1 person likes this.
  8. cabinchicky

cabinchicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2013
    ohio
    x2 with prairie chicken said, I ordered from meyer and have the EE in standard and banty. if I want certain breed though I find breeder,if I want the SOP.

9. kenzier093

kenzier093 Chillin' With My Peeps

Today some of my 7 week old chicks started roosting! They aren't really chicks no more though :( About 10 more weeks until I get some eggs hopefully and I can't wait!

10. blackshawdog

blackshawdog Out Of The Brooder

Dec 15, 2013
    Tulsa
    Meet my new chick, Juanita!

I'm so excited to see what she looks like once her feathers come in.

:jumpy

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by