Easter Egger club!

Oh I think you're right about the silver one being a cockerel, the close up showing the comb looks like three rows of peas and those legs are really thick. Compared with the brown one, her comb is really smooth and narrow, and she has delicate legs.

Tomorrow I go pick up my EEs! So excited. They are about a week old.

So I have a question for all you EE experts. I know there is no sure way of sexing them but at what age can the comb start giving you an idea- are my babies too small? Any other tips?

Quote: Cessy isn't suppose to be a boy. I wasn't going to ask about it until 'she' was older and it was easier to tell, but I'm starting to worry....
I got her from Runnings and she came out of a pullet bin. But I've noticed the thick legs, three rows on comb and bossy behavior. Also she just did a little thing that the RIR roos I had did when they were her age (Jumping on my hand and doing a little crouch thing(?) almost like they were practicing mating with my hand).
idunno.gif

Does anyone know if Runnings lets you trade for a different chick? I guess there's still a possibility of her being a pullet but there seems to be a lot of indications of her being a roo.

So I have a question for all you EE experts. I know there is no sure way of sexing them but at what age can the comb start giving you an idea- are my babies too small? Any other tips?

It depends on the chick...mine are 3 1/2 weeks old and already I'm 95% sure who is who, some of the chicks already have super bright red combs, while others that I know are roos have smaller combs, that are still pink.

I hope it a goes well.. GOOD LUCK on the new babies...

I am sorry, I don't remember when I started to tell the roosters. As I recall I could tell by the mock fights first.

I hope to get new EE chicks tomorrow too. My Broody should have hers hatch tomorrow. She has not kicked any of the eggs out yet. BUT she is a young broody and may not know a good egg. I gave her 10 eggs, but thought she was too small to incubate that many. I was wrong. When I changed her water today she got off the nest to drink. Which is so unusual for her. So I took the chance and looked at two of her eggs, no pips. BUT she had all ten laid out in a single layer and all were warm!

That is all the time I had to inspect. She was not fond of me looking at her eggs and let me know it.

Back
Top Bottom