Easter Egger club!

I couldn't take it any more and got more EE's! My girlies are all going to be 3 years old this summer and last fall they all took a longer break during moult than I would have liked. They're all laying like crazy right now but I know that's not going to last, and since I only have one blue egg out of five hens (two of which are EE's) when I found out Theisens was getting "Ameracaunas" in I snatched them up. Ended up with five teeeeeeeny fluffballs! I tried getting the biggest variety of color I could, but they all have chipmunk coloring and I'm betting will all turn out like my existing two EE's, either chestnut and black or mahogony and black. :/ Ah well, the eggs will hopefully make up for the "boring" colors. So far I'm still figuring out how to tell them apart, which of course will last until their first moult since I'm going off patterns on their chick fluff. >_< The solo one I posted will be named "Lucky Number Slevin" (after the movie) since she has a perfectly shaped 7 on her head.

Here's my EE pullet, Butternut. She started out all blue and I was wondering where my wife got the idea to name her after a butterscotch colored squash. Then she turned out butterscotch colored! And boy does she like to cuddle!

Our EE Geraldine is proving to be an excellent early warning predator alert system. In the last week, she had rounded up the girls and headed back to the coop at the first "Scree!" call from circling hawks three times when they were out foraging in the front yard. She also always goes to check out neighbor dogs, cats, and birds who wander past or picket fence to see if they are friends or foe. We never leave them out unsupervised, but it's nice to know that she's a good mother hen!

Our EE Geraldine is proving to be an excellent early warning predator alert system. In the last week, she had rounded up the girls and headed back to the coop at the first "Scree!" call from circling hawks three times when they were out foraging in the front yard. She also always goes to check out neighbor dogs, cats, and birds who wander past or picket fence to see if they are friends or foe. We never leave them out unsupervised, but it's nice to know that she's a good mother hen!
AWWWW! such a good mama hen

I couldn't take it any more and got more EE's! My girlies are all going to be 3 years old this summer and last fall they all took a longer break during moult than I would have liked. They're all laying like crazy right now but I know that's not going to last, and since I only have one blue egg out of five hens (two of which are EE's) when I found out Theisens was getting "Ameracaunas" in I snatched them up. Ended up with five teeeeeeeny fluffballs! I tried getting the biggest variety of color I could, but they all have chipmunk coloring and I'm betting will all turn out like my existing two EE's, either chestnut and black or mahogony and black. :/ Ah well, the eggs will hopefully make up for the "boring" colors. So far I'm still figuring out how to tell them apart, which of course will last until their first moult since I'm going off patterns on their chick fluff. >_< The solo one I posted will be named "Lucky Number Slevin" (after the movie) since she has a perfectly shaped 7 on her head.

You never know, my two that were the exact same color as yours turned out black-and-white beautiful chicks

Ameraucanas and EEs IMO are the sentinels of a flock. The hens usually don't get combative in flock politics and seem to avoid confrontations/conflicts by fleeing first rather than fighting. They are really sweet but very jittery jumpy wary alert breeds. Our Amer (my avatar pic) will usually be the last to settle down in the coop and will be the one hen that's alert if we open the coop after roost time. A friend of ours had their coop attacked by a dog and the 2 out of 5 hens that survived were their alert EEs. They seem to have those long toes that cling to things even hanging upside-down. Amazing birds!

Our EE is the pack leader, and keeps everyone in line. She has it 'out' for our Australorp, and will peck her or push her away if she gets between the EE and her snacks, or gets too close during dirt baths. She doesn't do this so much with the others, but is clearly the boss of the show, and will let ANYONE know it!

Our EE is the pack leader, and keeps everyone in line. She has it 'out' for our Australorp, and will peck her or push her away if she gets between the EE and her snacks, or gets too close during dirt baths. She doesn't do this so much with the others, but is clearly the boss of the show, and will let ANYONE know it!

Yes, I think Ams/EEs are the type that will not get combative but by the same token if cornered or inconvenienced they can stand up for themselves. Our Blue Wheaten Amer will just jump over a confrontational Silkie rather than hurt the little bugger but she certainly isn't shy when it comes to pushing to the front of the line for treats that she's crazy about. Ams/EEs are really quick and easily jump out of the way of other peckish chickens. Our Breda comes close to being a quickster but the Amer is still the quickest. Our Amer chases the stray cats out of the yard so they never come back again! I don't know what got into them but one day all 4 of our hens en masse chased out a stray cat. Sure helps me out not having stray cat poops in my cultivated raised garden beds!

Back
Top Bottom