Easter Egger genetics - how do the make them?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by SewingDiva, Dec 9, 2008.

1. SewingDiva

SewingDiva Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm asking this just out of curiosity; the information I've seen says that EE's are hybrid birds, so what breeds they use for each parent?

Are EE's the offspring of the same breed of rooster and same breed hen, or is one parent always one breed and the other parent whatever breed they happen have around?

I know nothing about genetics...

Phyllis

2. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    To make an easter egger take a bird with a blue egg gene (say araucana or ameracauna) breed with another breed or a different color of the same breed and viola! you have an easter egger.

3. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
  4. seriousbill

seriousbill Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    Ohio
    That last one is cute [​IMG] There's nothing wrong with liking EEs, but it does seem like kind of a shame to want them to be, and insist on their being, something they're not... They are a perfectly fine variety of chicken.

Btw, in poultry parlance, EEs are not really hybrids--a hybrid is usually a first generation cross (hence the term "hybrid vigor" which is produced by a brand new combination of genes). EEs are a mixed variety, meaning there's a different recipe depending on strain. Most have some blue-egg-layer genes in there somewhere, though.

5. herechickchick

herechickchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    Memphis TN
    EE's are great and lots of people like them. I would contact some Ameraucana and Araucana breeders and get chicks from them in assorted colors then mix the 2 groups together and throw in some brown egg layers like a Speckled Sussex and a Delaware, anything really and start from there. There is a big market for quality EE's just be clear on what you have and honest in that you are not selling pure Amreaucana or Araucana. I know there are lots of people who would like to buy them. [​IMG]

Good Luck

6. SixHix

SixHix Out Of The Brooder

Aug 7, 2012
    Southern California
    I know this is an old thread, but after reading many Marans pages, I couldn't help but giggle at this page!
    Thanks for sharing!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by