Easter egger has not laid in 3 months. What to do?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by fishmanwill, Sep 20, 2015.

1. fishmanwill

fishmanwill Out Of The Brooder

Jan 16, 2014
    I have an Easter egger hen that is a year and a half old and was a good layer until 3 months ago she quit laying and has not laid since. She did not molt and she still looks and acts healthy just hasn't laid an egg in 3 months. What to do? Do I wait it out? Will she lay again? I don't really want to feed a hen that will not lay again or soon. What would you do? Thanks.

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Let It Snow Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    I have found EE to be sporadic layers, prone to quitting early, than resuming later than other breeds. Most chickens over a year will stop to molt, some stop earlier than others, your hen probably won't lay again until next spring. I personally just keep everyone, for you it depends how you feel about a non laying chicken.

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Sometimes EE are poor layers, depends on what cross they are....but....

Let's do a little investigating.

Do you free range?

Tell us more about your flock and their housing and exactly what and how feed.

4. fishmanwill

fishmanwill Out Of The Brooder

Jan 16, 2014
    She must have known I was talking about her and thinking about removing her from the flock. There was an egg in her coop yesterday! Guess I don't have to worry about it now. Thanks for the help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by