Easter Egger layer of beak cracked off

mintyivyy1

Chirping
Oct 11, 2022
Hi all,

We have a 10 month old easter egger who one second was fine, dustbathing, the next second we noticed she had the top of her beak cracked off. No other birds are going for it, but I can tell she's in pain. We cleaned with Veterycin, and are continuing to monitor. Honestly, it does seem like a lot of the beak is still intact, even if it's just some soft tissue exposed. her activity level is lower, she seems to just want to be alone in the side of the yard. She may have snagged it on the coop.

it seems too tender for her to eat right now, although she is foraging a bit and also drank water.

My question is-- how severe is this? We can isolate if she seems to get worse and if she stops eating or something, get her some very soft food in electrolyte water, etc. I have some new Meloxicam I can give her if need be.
unnamed (2).jpg

Last edited:
Hi! Give her softened feed in a deep cup so she can eat without bumping her nose. Her beak is as tender as when we hurt our fingers and toes. Keep it as clean as you can and keep an eye for infection.
Thank you, she's still very sore but has managed to eat and drink. Poor thing!

I had the same thing happen to one of my girls. A dog killed my rooster and grabbed her next but we got her away in time. I’ve been trying to feed her soft things in a deep cup. She’s doing much better now but she’s broody now and I let her sit on four eggs. She’s getting very spoiled now. 😇

I had the same thing happen to one of my girls. A dog killed my rooster and grabbed her next but we got her away in time. I’ve been trying to feed her soft things in a deep cup. She’s doing much better now but she’s broody now and I let her sit on four eggs. She’s getting very spoiled now. 😇
Oh my gosh, so horrible about your rooster! Same here, our girl is doing well now but expects treats every time we walk in the run :)

Sorry to hear this happened, if you think it’s needed, I have given some of my birds a quarter or half of a baby aspirin to help with pain.

Back
Top Bottom