"Easter Egger" laying brown eggs--is this common?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mxschwartz, Mar 13, 2010.

1. mxschwartz

mxschwartz Out Of The Brooder

Aug 18, 2009
    I'm not entirely sure, but I have a sneaky suspicion my easter egger (hatchery) just started laying and is not laying green/blue eggs.

I am thinking of isolating her so I can know for sure.

But, before I do that, I am wondering: how often do hatchery easter eggers not have the colored egg gene?

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Very common since Easter Eggers are crossbreeds. If you want blue eggs, you'd need to get Ameraucanas or Araucanas from a breeder.
  3. fordmommy

fordmommy Dancing With My Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    "Easter Egger" chickens can lay any color eggs. It's just people relate them as a"green egg layer". No guarantees with them.
  4. paddock36

paddock36 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2008
    Ocala, Florida
    I have one that looks just like an EE but she lays brown eggs too. I keep thinking about getting rid of her but she lays pretty steady.
  5. sciencechick

sciencechick Out Of The Brooder

Jun 26, 2009
    Central Virginia
    My hatchery "Ameraucana" turned out to be an EE and then didn't even lay green eggs... just a light brown
    That was the only reason I got that hen [​IMG]
  6. chicks4kids

chicks4kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    My EE lays a whitish/cream egg-figures.....
  7. fancbrd4me02

fancbrd4me02 Chillin' With My Peeps

I have never bought a hatchery EE that laid anything other than a brown or white egg....Although other here have had some that laid green or blue.
  8. 4 Love of Baby Chickens

4 Love of Baby Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Out of my 3 EE hen's only one lays brown eggs. The other two lay a olive green egg and a light sky blue egg. [​IMG] I'm happy and satisfied with them. Their very pretty and friendly. Pretty good layers too.
  9. ArizonaDesertChicks

ArizonaDesertChicks Eggstactic for Pretty Eggs

Dec 8, 2008
    Glendale, AZ
    My 5 adult EEs (from hatcheries) are all laying green or blue eggs. I have some younger ones that have just started laying and I haven't isolated them to see which one is laying which egg, but I am getting some small blue/green pullet eggs now, so I know at least some of the new ones are laying the right color. As far as I know the younger EEs haven't laid any brown ones yet (no small unidentified brown eggs in the nests), but they haven't all started laying yet.

I think some EEs may lay brown, but that it isn't the norm.

10. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    My only EE hen lays a light brown egg. . . She even has a weird looking, flopsy (every point flops in a different direction) single comb. I think it is the norm for you to have atleast one EE from a hatchery order that lays a brown egg, but it shouldn't be too common. Even though that means they have practically no blue gene, I personally still call them EEs. Mine still has muffs and a beard, the typical EE color, and slate to green colored legs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by