Easter Egger laying eggs with weird color variations

schwolton

Chirping
6 Years
May 4, 2013
Here is a picture of George Bob Redstone’s eggs (My son named her ) so she has a deformity, it’s like a hump over where one of her wings starts so she has an uneven gait. Besides that she is very healthy, she just started laying about a month ago. She is an inconsistent layer and has seemed egg bound a couple times but was fine after I gave her oyster shells. My question is why do her eggs have variation in color? Thanks!

Attachments

• C75D6E25-66E7-4E65-910A-DC746E617266.jpeg
    C75D6E25-66E7-4E65-910A-DC746E617266.jpeg
    883.2 KB · Views: 25
How old is she?
My EE pullet lays huge pink eggs with white Speckles. Yesterday surprised me, she layed a brown egg with white Speckles.
1011191535.jpg
Pink Speckled egg on left. I don't have a picture of the brown one she layed yesterday.

My question is why do her eggs have variation in color? Thanks!
That's pretty 'normal' for some birds.
It's a variation in the brown coating.
Not indicative of a 'problem' per se.
The pale spot on the one is the oddest,
but that could just be a shelling/coating glitch.

Why do you think she was egg bound?
How are you giving the OS?
What all and how exactly are you feeding?

Hi there :) I think she was egg bound because she was frequently visiting the nesting box and her back end was kind of heaving, like you could see her kind of spasming? It’s hard to describe. I just put the oyster shells in everyone’s food, just a decent sprinkle every other day or so. Also I feed them layer crumbles along with a seed mix treat (harvest delight) and mealworms. They get the treats almost every day, I’m thinking about limiting them more.

How old is she?
My EE pullet lays huge pink eggs with white Speckles. Yesterday surprised me, she layed a brown egg with white Speckles.View attachment 1977269 Pink Speckled egg on left. I don't have a picture of the brown one she layed yesterday.

oh wow! I’m not sure exactly how old she is, I got her in the spring and she was full grown but just started laying a month ago

oh wow! I’m not sure exactly how old she is, I got her in the spring and she was full grown but just started laying a month ago
Okay. My girl didn't start laying until she turned 8months old. She took forever. I hatched her in the spring, so your girl must be older then mine.

I think she was egg bound because she was frequently visiting the nesting box and her back end was kind of heaving, like you could see her kind of spasming? It’s hard to describe. I just put the oyster shells in everyone’s food, just a decent sprinkle every other day or so. Also I feed them layer crumbles along with a seed mix treat (harvest delight) and mealworms. They get the treats almost every day, I’m thinking about limiting them more.
Not unusual for a new layer to be rather 'flaky', in and out of nests, pacing all around.
It can take up to a month or so for things to smooth out, she'll figure it out.
An egg bound bird will appear very ill, standing in the 'penguin' pose, not eating or drinking. The vent will pulse for many reasons, just breathing will do it.
She may also be getting ready to pass a softshell egg, that can illicit some weird behaviors.

Oyster shell is best kept in a separate container.
Layer feed is meant to be a the sole feed, so cut way back on the seed treats.

Back
Top Bottom