Easter egger mommy???

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Chicken Kate, Mar 29, 2018.

1. Chicken Kate

Chicken Kate Chirping

So here is my deal.someone dropped a silkie Rooster (white and stunning) a swedish flower, Cali White and an easter egger into my coop. We dont know who did it or why...i do know that the egger has crooked messed up toes , she is picked on badly, so she free ranges all day and at night, i used to put her back into the coop. Today i saw how bad of an idea that is. So i placed her in the barn with my brooder boxes .She jumped into the one with the week to two week old babies. I had a heat lamp on them and still do. But i know they are under her. My question is, do i just move the brooder box further away from the heat lamp, or do i leave it? She is not laying yet btw so this is random and sweet, but i dont want her over heating ..or the babies over heating.

Brahma Chicken5000 likes this.
  2. The Phantom

The Phantom I love birds!!!

Jan 9, 2017
    SE Wisconsin
    Some one just dumped them there? I would separate them to make sure they are healthy.

3. Chicken Kate

Chicken Kate Chirping

Yes they did. I did seperate them, so far all are fine, young and not yet laying..the roo, im sure is a year or close to it. I was shocked...and even better was that my brahama boys are fine with the silkie Rooster...not one fight. Yaaay.

Brahma Chicken5000 likes this.
  4. Brahma Chicken5000

Brahma Chicken5000 Araucana Addict

Sep 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    Brahmas cockerels and roosters are very tolerant of other cockerels or roosters and can live peacefully.

Chicken Kate likes this.
  5. Chicken Kate

Chicken Kate Chirping

Ahhhhh see that? Another reason to love my Brahama's. i didnt know that, so thank you. I know that my Orp roo would not have been as happy lol.
    I dont understand why someone would just drop their chickens at some one elses coop, but i sure am glad they chose me. i just hope my Egger keeps being such a great mommy.

Attached Files:

Rachealx4 likes this.
  6. Rachealx4

Rachealx4 Songster

Mar 11, 2018
    East Central Missouri
    Awww... what an incredibly sweet picture:love

Chicken Kate likes this.
  7. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Crossing the Road

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    Too late now. As soon as those chickens were put in the coop, all the other chickens were exposed to whatever those may have had.

aart, The Phantom and KikisGirls like this.
  8. Chicken Kate

Chicken Kate Chirping

Thank you. I love that one of her. She is such a sweetie.

Rachealx4 likes this.
  9. Chicken Kate

Chicken Kate Chirping

Oh great..well, now all i have left is to pray that none of them are sick. I really don't know why some one would do this. Still better then them getting killed, i suppose.

10. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Crossing the Road

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    I've had the same thing happen here. I didn't have any problems. How long ago did they show up?

Chicken Kate likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: