Easter egger or no?

Tumbleweedlynn

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
Sep 5, 2022
Central New Mexico
Hi everyone - I have several Pullets that are around 13 weeks. The four pictured below were purchased at Tractor Supply. They were the last in the bin, I was told they were sexed pullets, and that they were Easter eggers. I was happy to get the black mottled one, I thought she was so different (haha..)
My husband is insisting she/he is a cockerel ☹️ Also, the other three have such fluffy cheeks, and my relative inexperience with breeds makes me wonder if they might be something else? And if the mottled one is a cockerel and is so different from the others, might it be a different breed? Thanks so much for the help!
3ADED0B4-7DD3-470C-9C9C-367220F93A6A.jpeg
BAA79AC9-A5AA-457E-8BDC-17389E04069C.jpeg

They are all Easter eggers, which are of mixed ancestry and can come in any color. The black and white one in the 2nd picture is a cockerel. The brown ones in the 1st picture are all pullets.
Thank you so much! Can you tell me a breed that has the fluffy cheeks? Curious what they may be crossed with. No doubts about the cockerel? I already have two that are 17 weeks and atleast 4 more from 7-12 weeks of my Ayam Cemanis, so I need to figure things out quick! 😖

Thank you so much! Can you tell me a breed that has the fluffy cheeks? Curious what they may be crossed with. No doubts about the cockerel? I already have two that are 17 weeks and atleast 4 more from 7-12 weeks of my Ayam Cemanis, so I need to figure things out quick! 😖

The fluffy cheeks is typically from Ameraucana being the blue egg gene origin breed in hatchery lines!

That black and white one is 100% a cockerel.

The fluffy cheeks is typically from Ameraucana being the blue egg gene origin breed in hatchery lines!

That black and white one is 100% a cockerel.
Well thank you for that information, the possibility of blue eggs is eggciting 🤣🍳 They are vocal and fun to watch run around! A shame about the cockerel as he is really outnumbered.

Easter eggers often have fluffy cheeks, especially the old type. They got the beard and muffs originally from South American breeds that were mixed with layer breeds in America to make Easter eggers, and the trait has been passed on down from there.

The black and white one is most definitely a cockerel. Once you know how many boys you have you will probably have to make some tough decisions.

Easter eggers often have fluffy cheeks, especially the old type. They got the beard and muffs originally from South American breeds that were mixed with layer breeds in America to make Easter eggers, and the trait has been passed on down from there.

The black and white one is most definitely a cockerel. Once you know how many boys you have you will probably have to make some tough decisions.
Thank you so much for the information, I love knowing all I can about my flock.

I’m kinda waiting to see how the cockerels act once the Pullets start laying to see who is the most gentle with them. We will see how it goes! 🤞

Back
Top Bottom