Easter egger- pullet or cockerel???

Jenniwenni

In the Brooder
Jun 18, 2023
Hi! I just recently had to rehome one of my flock that turned out to be a cockerel. It was pretty sad for all of us (especially the kiddos) and brought our flock down to three hens.

I just picked up two Pullets… and I’m feeling anxious about one of them. I am pretty sure she is a pullet based on the fact that her comb is not reddening. (The Easter egger i rehomed had a red comb earlier on) And I have researched and believe she has a hen specific feather pattern? Can anyone confirm that? Her feathers look pointy in the hackle area but upon closer inspection they are blunt. She has longer feathers in the saddle area but they are also blunt.
A8FBAAB6-6BA2-4AA3-A2AD-0718CC80D2D6.jpeg
C629A877-5B1B-45FB-B52F-015CF538A615.jpeg

What has me worried are the reddish patches on her wings. I have also read that can be an indicator of gender in Easter eggers… I didn’t notice when I was picking her out.

PLEASE tell me she is a Pullet.

Oh and she is 10 weeks old.

Pullet-if this bird is 10 weeks, look to be a pullet.
You're correct though in regards to the coloring around the wings, "rust" is a good sign that you could have a Cockerel, but the feathering seems to say pullet on your bird, feathers look to be rounded but it's hard to see in your photos.

Pullet-if this bird is 10 weeks, look to be a pullet.
You're correct though in regards to the coloring around the wings, "rust" is a good sign that you could have a Cockerel, but the feathering seems to say pullet on your bird, feathers look to be rounded but it's hard to see in your photos.
Thank you for that thorough response! The lady I bought them from told me 10 weeks. However they are slightly smaller than my birds or the same age. Her feathers are definitely rounded!

Back
Top Bottom