• Hen

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Rooster

Votes: 4 100.0%

• Total voters

Heather74

Chirping
Sep 27, 2015
Hi guys, This is my first experience raising my own chickens. I bought 4 total from a lady, two are Wyandotte crosses, and the other two are light sussex crosses.

One of my red girls, Attila, used to be the runt, but is now almost twice as large are her 3 flockmates.
Also, her comb is different, and so are her feathers.

I've heard of a hen taking the place of a 'rooster' when there isn't one, and don't own a rooster (so i hope) but now i'm concerned that She is actually a He.

I bought them when they were 9-10 weeks old, now they are 19ish weeks old. No eggs from anyone yet.

A little more about Attila:
She's always been the most 'skiddish' of the bunch and hates being held the most. Instead of calming down instantly and accepting cuddles, like the other three, she will flap around some until she relaxes for me to get something out her eye, check on her wings, etc.
Her comb is flat and smooth with brighter coloring than her sisters, who have small ripples on theirs.
Also, She/He has not tried to make any odd noises like my friend's young roosters did at this age.

The first two photos are of her sister 'Blue' to compare the two wyandotte crosses.

Here is Attila (the hen in question below)

Last edited:
****. He looked so much like his sisters until a week or two ago.
Im just not sure where the flat comb is coming from, because his eggmate blue has a bigger one then 'he' does.

Atilla is a cockerel. His comb looks different because it's (mostly) a rose comb, they don't get big and tall like a straight comb.

Darn it. Ok thank you everyone.
I'm not 100% sure what I'll do with him. We currently live in a neighborhood that doesn't allow roosters.

All of my chickens are super quiet though and none of them cluck, or make a sound. (other than soft tutters when they're unhappy about having to go back int their pen)
Hopefully Mr.Attila will not attempt to crow until we move out of this neighborhood. (it's just temporary while i am going to college)

Attila has saddle feathers. So regardless of any other factor, that's a cockerel. I've been able to see saddle feathers started on all the different breeds I've had at 11-12 weeks. Up between the wings almost at the base of the neck. He also has hackles feathers.

Darn it. Ok thank you everyone.
I'm not 100% sure what I'll do with him. We currently live in a neighborhood that doesn't allow roosters.

All of my chickens are super quiet though and none of them cluck, or make a sound. (other than soft tutters when they're unhappy about having to go back int their pen)
Hopefully Mr.Attila will not attempt to crow until we move out of this neighborhood. (it's just temporary while i am going to college)

You're welcome, and sorry to be the bearer of bad news. :eek:(

Back
Top Bottom