Easter Egger Rooster with Bumble foot!

misscrazy24

Chirping
8 Years
Apr 1, 2011
Mississauga
hi there,

So here's a bit of backgronud info:

I have a 2.5 year old easter egger rooster - who thinks he's a pet dog. He lives INSIDE the house as a family member. He sleeps in a closet with news papers and comes out and just chills in the room until we let him out. He's well trained - doesn't poop on carpet!

Diet:
pieces of dough
bird seeds
almonds, grapes, raisins, green peppers <-- these are more favourates.

I think that he got bumblefoot last year - but we always thought he limped b/c he jumped onto wooden/tile floor from the chairs. So I accidently discovered that this scab at the bottom of his foot was an indicator of bumblefoot. So We soaked his legs in some sanitized/salt water and removed the scab. (He's had it for a full year so it was pretty hard). There was no pus inside....so I just put some polysporin on it and wrapped it up with a piece of cloth.

He still limps from time to time and his foot his still swollen. Otherwise he's pretty normal - running around the house/ up and down stairs. We all love him very much - and I'm not sure what else I should do to keep him healthy......

Can anyone give me advice? He does go outside from time to time, he takes his baths on "his chair" or in carpet area where there is lots of sunlight so lice/mites/etc aren't a problem....

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1807992893753&set=o.145681869235&type=1&theater

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1807991373715&set=o.145681869235&type=1&theater

Thanks

I'm not a bumblefoot expert but it might just be that he will always have that occasional limp since the original infection was there for a while.. there could be some residual infection way up in the shank that you might not be able to retrieve. Is there heat in the foot/shank? If so then there is an active infection going on. Is there still a scab there now? If so you may want to try soaking again and seeing what you find with the scab removed. If I recall correctly, bumblefoot can be brought on/aggravated by roos perching on roosts that are too narrow, or they jump from too high, or onto a hard surface.

But I do have to say, that house roo is about the cutest thing I've ever seen.

Quote:
From the posts on Bumblefoot that I have been reading the pus is not liquid it is solid. Some say they have to cut quite deep to remove it and it comes out in a solid plug! Could you have missed the plug when you took the scab off?
hugs.gif
love.gif
love.gif
love.gif

Hi guys,

thanks for the replies.

The scab is pretty much gone. When i removed it - it was just a hole....pretty clear - nothing I could pull out. No blood, no plug, no other fluids. A bit soft but that's probably because we soaked his foot for a while. there's no heat luckily - the pad on that foot his larger (b/c its swollen). He seems okay minus occasional limp. And he's so gosh darn picky with his food >.>

lol and thank you - he is ridiculously adorable >.>....

How many roosters know that someone is at the door before they ring the doorbell! (and he's usually the first one at the door too hahahaha)

Back
Top Bottom