easter egger rooster

dpitts13

Songster
9 Years
Jul 22, 2012
if a easter egger rooster breeds with a easter egger hen will they produce easter egger chicks or something else.

I believe the chicks are considered Easter Eggers. I say this because and Easter Egger is simply a chicken that is part Ameruacana. (I probably spelled that wrong)

Last edited:
I thought that's where Easter Bunnies came from. LOL. I am not sure. I have heard that question a few times at sales and am curious myself. I have a hen and will get a rooster in the spring and would like to know myself.

They’ll produce mutts if nothing else.

It kind of depends on what your definition of an Easter Egger is. There is no set definition of an Easter Egger, or EE. For some people anything hatched with an EE as a parent is an EE. That’s not my definition. To me, the chicken needs to have the blue egg gene to be considered an EE regardless of what its parents were.

If that hen is laying a blue or green egg, then yes she is an EE. Since the rooster doesn’t lay eggs it’s hard to say exactly what he is unless you’ve hatched some chicks from him and raised them to where they lay eggs. Then you might know.

I’m guessing your question is really will the pullets from that cross lay blue or green eggs? It’s possible but no one can say for sure unless they know something about their genetics. There are so many if’s involved this might get long.

There is one specific gene that controls if the egg will be base blue or base white. Green and brown is just brown on top of one of those bases.

The blue egg gene is dominant so if the hen has just one copy of the blue egg gene, she’ll lay a colored egg. But there are two genes at that location on the DNA. You don’t know if she has two blue genes or one blue and one white. If she has two blue egg genes she will give a blue copy to the offspring. If she has one blue and one white, she has a 50-50 chance of giving either blue or white to her offspring. If she does not lay a blue or green egg, she has zero blue genes and will never give a blue gene to her offspring.

Same thing with the rooster but since he doesn’t lay eggs, you really don’t know what he is contributing.

thanks that was very helpful , you say if the hen lays a green or blue egg she has a blue gene , i hae one hen that lays green eggs the other ee hen lays a pink color egg, will the pink color have any blue genes.

Back
Top Bottom