Easter Egger Sex-Links?

Some colors work better for sex links too. Good rule of thumb for black sex links is to use a dark feathered, non barred, rooster. The hen must have barring so any hen with barring will work (barred rock, legbar, cuckoo marans, delaware, CA Grey, etc.)
A California white wouldn’t work, since half of the chicks would be mostly white, meaning they couldn’t be sexed.

Oh no, I'm so sorry guys. Have I misidentified these roos? I took a quick look at it once and I made assumptions... I think I was wrong.
The green arrow is what I assumed to be a Cuckoo Maran.
The blue is what I assumed was a Copper Maran.
The red is what I thought was an Easter Egger...
Was I wrong or right on these? Again I apologize if I was wrong, I am so bad. :barnie😂

View attachment 2879440
View attachment 2879438
View attachment 2879439
All of those are Easter eggers (or EE mixes) except for the barred rooster (green arrow). All of the EEs and EE mixes would work for sex-linking.

just out of curiosity, why won't the daughters be suitable if I chose a non-barred roo? Does that go for all of them or just some of the girls?

If the father is not barred, then his daughters are not barred.
When you need a barred hen to make sexlinks, this makes the not-barred pullets unsuitable.

If you want to do gold/silver sexlinks, you need a gold father and silver mother. Breeding a gold rooster (all of the ones with red in the photos) will produce daughters with the gold gene. This makes them wrong for producing gold/silver sexlinks.

The black rooster with white around his neck could (in theory) produce daughters with the silver gene, which could be used to later produce gold/silver sexlinks. But it won't really work, because there will be so much black that you can't tell the gold chicks from the silver chicks.

If the father is not barred, then his daughters are not barred.
When you need a barred hen to make sexlinks, this makes the not-barred pullets unsuitable.

If you want to do gold/silver sexlinks, you need a gold father and silver mother. Breeding a gold rooster (all of the ones with red in the photos) will produce daughters with the gold gene. This makes them wrong for producing gold/silver sexlinks.

The black rooster with white around his neck could (in theory) produce daughters with the silver gene, which could be used to later produce gold/silver sexlinks. But it won't really work, because there will be so much black that you can't tell the gold chicks from the silver chicks.
Thank you! That makes sense.

Now they only have the Cuckoo Maran left (and a beautiful Sumatra!), but that's still great! They say he's sweet. What do y'all think about the black Sumatra? Would there be some fun breeding potential in there? (Mixed breeds.)

Now they only have the Cuckoo Maran left (and a beautiful Sumatra!), but that's still great! They say he's sweet. What do y'all think about the black Sumatra? Would there be some fun breeding potential in there? (Mixed breeds.)

Black Sumatra will produce black chicks (sexlinks with barred hens, black daughters/barred sons).

Sumatras should have pea combs, so chicks would be split for pea comb. That can give some odd-looking combs, which may or may not matter to you.

Sumatras should have the dominant gene for long tails, so their sons are also likely to grow long tails.

But Sumatras are not known for growing quickly, or for being good layers.

So think about what qualities you want in the chicks, and then decide :)

Black Sumatra will produce black chicks (sexlinks with barred hens, black daughters/barred sons).

Sumatras should have pea combs, so chicks would be split for pea comb. That can give some odd-looking combs, which may or may not matter to you.

Sumatras should have the dominant gene for long tails, so their sons are also likely to grow long tails.

But Sumatras are not known for growing quickly, or for being good layers.

So think about what qualities you want in the chicks, and then decide :)
Thank you, I might get one in the future... I would love to get both now, but I realized that it would be too much stress for my little bantam rooster to introduce two big roosters at the same time. :( So I will sadly have to say no to the Sumatra.

Me and @MysteryChicken have sumatras. They can be a hit or miss in terms of temperament for males and females

Back
Top Bottom