Easter Egger Sexing "tips and tricks" *Pictures Included*

. About 12 weeks old. Thoughts?

Definitely pullets at that age. Boys would have gotten the dark red shoulders by then, and the combs are still very pale and undeveloped.

OK I think one day they are deffinately cockerel then the next day I am 99% sure they are pullets. The other ones were very easy to tell but these two are odd balls they still have patchy spots that are not completely feathered in. And then I noticed the saddle feathers on #2 looked long and pointy. To me #1 comb looks iffy it doesn't have the one straight row of peas like the other ones. It's wider also it has a dry patchy spot right on the comb where u wondered if it was from pecking or possibly dry pox? These are my first chickens so I have no clue.;)

OK I think one day they are deffinately cockerel then the next day I am 99% sure they are pullets. The other ones were very easy to tell but these two are odd balls they still have patchy spots that are not completely feathered in. And then I noticed the saddle feathers on #2 looked long and pointy. To me #1 comb looks iffy it doesn't have the one straight row of peas like the other ones. It's wider also it has a dry patchy spot right on the comb where u wondered if it was from pecking or possibly dry pox? These are my first chickens so I have no clue.
wink.png
I don't see anything in the photos that looks like pox. #2 has some funky saddle feathers, but they are rounded, and it looks like she's going through a juvenile molt.
Red/gold based colored males will always get the dark red shoulder patches. If there isn't any dark red by 8 to 10 weeks old, it's safe to say pullet.

Back
Top Bottom