Easter Egger Sexing "tips and tricks" *Pictures Included*

Can anyone help me confirm the gender of these two Easter Eggers? #1 (first two pictures) #2( last 3 pics)

#1 had a weird little growth on HER eye and a round dry pale patch on her comb and for the second one those saddle feather just popped out in the last day or two before there was nothing but fluff. For now I'm gonna trust you ( you obviously know a lot more than I do:) if you say they are pullets then they are pullets! I was kinda hoping for at least one roo but it looks like I got 11 pullets :)

That's what I was figuring too. My first batch of chickens were all Buff Orpingtons and I had a boy in the group. We were pretty sure at five weeks but by 22 weeks he was definitely ALL boy.
I got six chicks in this batch, 2 barred rocks, 2 speckled sussex and 2 Easter eggers. I think I really lucked out and got all girls this time! They're all doing great and I'm looking forward to them to start laying :)

My first batch of Buff Orpingtons were supposed to be "vent sexed pullets" but 4/5 were obvious boys with huge red combs and wattles by 5 weeks old! I bought a couple of older Orps to try and even my odds of a pullet, but one turned out to be a boy once his second batch of feathers came in. I could use your lucky. Mine has been dismal buying straight run and even worse buying "pullets" hahaha

So, the general consensus of an earlier BYC post was that my Piper is a boy and not the girl she was supposed to be. Here are more recent pictures - still no crowing - what says the group? S/he is approximately 14 week old now . . . Thanks for the feedback.
Piper has saddle feathers. Makes him a boy.

Definitely pullets at that age. Boys would have gotten the dark red shoulders by then, and the combs are still very pale and undeveloped.

Not all cockerels have red in them to have red shoulders. I don't think they are a trait they develop based on gender, just that if they have red in their coloring, boys have more concentrated patches across the shoulders and girls have more muted or broken up red. I have a cockerel that started out a wild partridge color scheme with brown, black, and white, especially on his wings, but it wasn't red and he molted almost all of it out to be almost totally black and white.

Can anyone help me confirm the gender of these two Easter Eggers? #1 (first two pictures) #2( last 3 pics)

I'm just suspicious of the longer narrower feathers flopping over from the back at the base of the tail. While they aren't "saddle feathers" they make me suspicious of "what's to come." But the saddles should start making an appearance in just the next couple of weeks if there are to be any. You'll first spot them between and under the wings up almost to the base of the neck. Other than that, comb and color says pullet! I don't see anything remotely concerning about a pullet diagnosis of chick #1.

Back
Top Bottom