Easter Egger Sexing "tips and tricks" *Pictures Included*

My first batch of Buff Orpingtons were supposed to be "vent sexed pullets" but 4/5 were obvious boys with huge red combs and wattles by 5 weeks old! I bought a couple of older Orps to try and even my odds of a pullet, but one turned out to be a boy once his second batch of feathers came in. I could use your lucky. Mine has been dismal buying straight run and even worse buying "pullets" hahaha

Wow, 4/5 were boys, that really does stink! Sorry you've ended with so many boys. I wish you better luck in any future chicks yiu get :)
On a side note, one of my Barred Rocks squatted yesterday so hopefully will be seeing eggs soon.

Ok so now I'm wondering on my girl iris!! I know the mottled one is a rooster. Her name was Imogene. Have to rename him now!! However, the orangish one I thought was a pullet, but now her tail is looking awfully long and look like what to be saddle feathers coming in? New to chicks so any help would be amazing!!

Also, can EE pullets be pure white or will it be a rooster? Trying to understand the color sexing. Thanks!

Ok so now I'm wondering on my girl iris!! I know the mottled one is a rooster. Her name was Imogene. Have to rename him now!! However, the orangish one I thought was a pullet, but now her tail is looking awfully long and look like what to be saddle feathers coming in? New to chicks so any help would be amazing!!

Also, can EE pullets be pure white or will it be a rooster? Trying to understand the color sexing. Thanks! I'm up in the air about the orangish one, but think it may be a girl. My cousing and I have an EE Pullets that are all white.

Also, can EE pullets be pure white or will it be a rooster? Trying to understand the color sexing. Thanks!
Both of your EEs appear to be pullets. The brown one for sure, and the mostly white, I'm pretty sure, but a close up of the comb would confirm it. The only male I saw was the one outside the gate. Pure white EEs can be either male or female.

Much closer pictures would really help. It looks like the white has saddle feathers hanging down. How old are they? When the saddle feathers start, they are high up on the back between/under the wings. EEs can be all white. We have a beautiful Snow White pullet named Sunny. She was a yellow fluff ball as a baby.

The yellowish EE is a pullet, and I agree that the white and black one looks like a pullet based on those red patches I see coming in. Solid white EE's can be both roosters or hens.

The yellowish EE is a pullet, and I agree that the white and black one looks like a pullet based on those red patches I see coming in. Solid white EE's can be both roosters or hens.
The white and black might be a cockerel based on the red?
big_smile.png
I see some red around the tail, maybe cockerel saddle feathers. Is there more red you see? My eyes are old.
cool.png

degrasseth, how old are the EEs? Close ups of the white/black would be helpful. Unless it has already crowed, I would hang on to it for a couple more weeks to be sure.

The white and black might be a cockerel based on the red?
big_smile.png
I see some red around the tail, maybe cockerel saddle feathers. Is there more red you see? My eyes are old.
cool.png

degrasseth, how old are the EEs? Close ups of the white/black would be helpful. Unless it has already crowed, I would hang on to it for a couple more weeks to be sure.
I think I see some red coming in just above the wings, as well as by the base on the tail, but I could be wrong.
smile.png

@dgrasseth , I know it can be difficult, but can you get a close up of the black and white one? I would definitely wait a little longer, who knows, it might surprise you yet.

Okay! Got on the computer so I could click on the individual pictures for better close ups! I see now that what looked like saddle feathers was just the white lacing. What do you mean by "the mottled one"? The black and white? I see no reason to suspect the gold/buff one isn't a pullet. Could you get a close up of the "saddle feathers" you see coming in? Her tail may be "long" but it's straight. I'd be more concerned if it had curved feathers not just the length.

The white and black might be a cockerel based on the red?  :D   I see some red around the tail, maybe cockerel saddle feathers.  Is there more red you see?  My eyes are old.  :cool:

degrasseth, how old are the EEs?  Close ups of the white/black would be helpful.  Unless it has already crowed, I would hang on to it for a couple more weeks to be sure. 

I think I see some red coming in just above the wings, as well as by the base on the tail, but I could be wrong. :)  
@dgrasseth
, I know it can be difficult, but can you get a close up of the black and white one? I would definitely wait a little longer, who knows, it might surprise you yet.

Here are some closer pics of Imogene. (Name pending until confirmed rooster
1f61c.png
)

Those long red feathers on the tail are what I was assuming we're saddle feathers? I am new to this but I thought red meant rooster? Also, the pea comb is quite large compared to the others. What do you think? Rooster?

Back
Top Bottom