Easter Egger Sexing "tips and tricks" *Pictures Included*

This is my almost 8 week old Easter egger. I have been pretty sure for a few weeks that he is a cockerel and then someone told me he looks like a pullet. Starting to look for a new home for him as I can't keep roosters where I live and just want to make sure it's definately a male.

Probably a pullet then, since it's just the skin under the comb that's pink, and the coloring is decidedly female.

Is it a common coloring for hens? I know there isn't a breed standard for EE's as far as color goes but my other EE hen, now an adult, has a definite hen color so I knew right away with her. I'm also puzzled because the comb on this chick doesn't exactly look like an EE pea comb to me. She/he does have the greenish legs that many EE's do, though.

Is it a common coloring for hens? I know there isn't a breed standard for EE's as far as color goes but my other EE hen, now an adult, has a definite hen color so I knew right away with her. I'm also puzzled because the comb on this chick doesn't exactly look like an EE pea comb to me. She/he does have the greenish legs that many EE's do, though.
I've actually got a pullet that hatched on Valentine's Day that is similarly colored.

Tweety from the front

And Tweety's back. She was bossing the boys.

Very pretty!
what girl/ boy ratio do you keep?
I only have one mature rooster at the moment, a few young cockerels (6 weeks old) and more in the batch of 2 week old chicks. By the end of the summer, I'll have about 15 to 16 layers, 1 cockerel, and a rooster. With my setup, and the property they free-range, I really need another boy keeping a lookout for my girls.

Chick #1

This one has been feathering out the fastest. Comb is larger, but has not changed at all. It was a muddy dark brown chick.
Chick #2

This is puffball. My son's favorite and seems pullet-ish so far :) this was an orange chipmunk chick with puffy cheeks.
Chick #3

This one has been feathering out the slowest. It was yellow chipmunk with puffy cheeks.
Chick #4

This one was a lighter muddy brown chick.

Update: the chicks are now 5 weeks old. Nothing is screaming cockerel to me yet. No changes in behavior or comb size/color just lots more feathers. I tried to quote with just the previous pictures, so we'll see if it worked from my phone.
Chick #1 - fast featherer with largish comb

Chick #2 Puffball

Chick #3 slow featherer that seems to have caught up

Chick #4 this is the only one that I'm almost sure is a pullet - the rest are still TBD to me

(L to R) 2, 3, 4

lsp430 Great update. So neat to see how they feathered in. Different than I was expecting on a couple, but that's EEs for you! I don't see any cockerel traits so far. Lots more changing from 5-7 weeks, so keep your fingers crossed, but so far so good.
fl.gif
especially Puffball- favorites always need extra hoping!

Back
Top Bottom