Easter Egger Sexing "tips and tricks" *Pictures Included*

Okay! Here are my four babies...almost nine weeks now. I posted about them before. They all have the same daddy, a white and black EE. The two on the right have the same EE mom. The white one on the left was hatched from a SLW hen, and the white cockerel in the middle (Fabio) came from a Golden Comet.

I think I'm ready to say Fabio is the only cockerel, and the other three are pullets.

I keep going back and forth on these two, Ava and Scarlet. I'd like to try to settle it. I have someone who will be getting to EE pullets from me, if I have them. She can't have a rooster, so I have been waiting to try and determine the sex before I give them to her. What do you think?

This is Ava. Her coloring had me worried, but the comb seems to be staying yellow.

This is Scarlet. Her coloring also had me worried at first, but I'm hoping that yellow comb means pullet. It is kind of hard to see, but she has some coppery feathers on her back and wings.

Sophia has always looked like a dainty little girl
1f609.png

And just for fun, Fabio...my hunka-hunka-burning-love, lol...he was obvious at hatch!

Okay! Here are my four babies...almost nine weeks now. I posted about them before. They all have the same daddy, a white and black EE. The two on the right have the same EE mom. The white one on the left was hatched from a SLW hen, and the white cockerel in the middle (Fabio) came from a Golden Comet.

I think I'm ready to say Fabio is the only cockerel, and the other three are pullets.

I keep going back and forth on these two, Ava and Scarlet. I'd like to try to settle it. I have someone who will be getting to EE pullets from me, if I have them. She can't have a rooster, so I have been waiting to try and determine the sex before I give them to her. What do you think?

This is Ava. Her coloring had me worried, but the comb seems to be staying yellow.

This is Scarlet. Her coloring also had me worried at first, but I'm hoping that yellow comb means pullet. It is kind of hard to see, but she has some coppery feathers on her back and wings.

Sophia has always looked like a dainty little girl
1f609.png

And just for fun, Fabio...my hunka-hunka-burning-love, lol...he was obvious at hatch!

Scarlet is a cockerel, as is Fabio. The other two are pullets.

Is Fabio the only one that has yellow legs? The reason I ask is when I have crossed First generation EE with Wyandottes and Rhode Island Reds, the boys always had the yellow legs and girls had the green slate legs. When I crossed second generation EE this sex-link didn't work. So I would say by your pictures that he is the only Boy and the others are girls.
jumpy.gif

Is Fabio the only one that has yellow legs? The reason I ask is when I have crossed First generation EE with Wyandottes and Rhode Island Reds, the boys always had the yellow legs and girls had the green slate legs. When I crossed second generation EE this sex-link didn't work. So I would say by your pictures that he is the only Boy and the others are girls.
jumpy.gif
Coincidence. The slate wash is not sexlinked.

Hi, thought I would just try to confirm my suspicion that this EE chick is most likely a cockerel.
It was hatched and brooded by my silkie, so a little shy. I tried to get the best (and closest) picsI could.
1 st pic it at 1 day old, rest of pics are at 3 months old.
Here we go

1 day old:

3 months old:

Thanks for helping!!

I have 6 EE chicks and I think that a got a roo in the mix but I'm not really sure the only other chickens I've had are silkies which are much different. Any help and advice is appreciated. They were all "sexed pullets" but I know how that goes. They're about a month old. How do the beards work also like when do they start to change colors because I've seen pictures of chicks with blonde beards then end up black. Also if mine are bearded or not because I got all the ones with cheek fuzz. Thank you

Hi, thought I would just try to confirm my suspicion that this EE chick is most likely a cockerel.
It was hatched and brooded by my silkie, so a little shy. I tried to get the best (and closest) picsI could.
1 st pic it at 1 day old, rest of pics are at 3 months old.
Here we go

1 day old:

3 months old:

Thanks for helping!!
You are correct. That's a cockerel.

I have 6 EE chicks and I think that a got a roo in the mix but I'm not really sure the only other chickens I've had are silkies which are much different. Any help and advice is appreciated. They were all "sexed pullets" but I know how that goes. They're about a month old. How do the beards work also like when do they start to change colors because I've seen pictures of chicks with blonde beards then end up black. Also if mine are bearded or not because I got all the ones with cheek fuzz. Thank you

This one looks like a pullet for now.

I think it's wait and see on this one. I'm leaning toward pullet for now though.
Pullet
Cockerel (note how this one looks different from the one above and the one below, especially the comb)
Pullet
Pullet for now.
Yes, your EE's all have beards. Most EE's have beards, but some do not. Chicks go through several ''mini molts'' before they reach 20 or so weeks, and their color can change drastically during that time.

Back
Top Bottom