Easter Egger Sexing "tips and tricks" *Pictures Included*

If they were Amberlinks, you'd be able to choose pullets by wing growth. But the hatcheries only invest the effort to set up wing-sexable breeding when they are able to see a benefit in reduced sexing costs. So, it's done for commercial layers only. EEs are vent sexed.

If you want to know what you have, post pictures of how they look at 6 weeks. Many give themselves away by pattern.

So, debid, can 1 day old males have long and short wing feathers the same as pullets that can be feather sexed? I picked out Easter Eggers that all have the long primaries and shorter coverts. Can males have wing feathers like that, or would it be the other way around that females could have the feathers all the same length like 1 day old cockerels?

Last edited:
So, debid, can 1 day old males have long and short wing feathers the same as pullets that can be feather sexed? I picked out Easter Eggers that all have the long primaries and shorter coverts. Can males have wing feathers like that, or would it be the other way around that females could have the feathers all the same length like 1 day old cockerels?

Both sexes can be fast or slow feathering so you could see either pattern and have it be either gender.

Just a little update -- the two chicks I was worried about ARE boys. They're 7wks today, and Jellybean has been crowing for almost a week now. (Well, "crowing".) They're both so friendly, whereas the third roo chick (the one that was marked as such by the hatchery) is downright aggressive, both with me and the other chicks. I think he'll be going elsewhere to live, but I'm hoping the other two can stay. It'll depend on whether the flock can handle three mature roos.

Now I just hope none of the remaining chicks are late-blooming boys! Somebody at Cackle Hatchery was asleep on the job...

Beatrice (my 3yo refuses to rename him) has been grey/black, but now some red is popping popping up on his adult feathers. Not sure what his final coloring will be like:

Jellybean is looking more clearly male as his gets bigger:

Beatrice again -- look at that floof! He's been a gentle giant, so far, really kind and friendly.

Beatrice again -- look at that floof! He's been a gentle giant, so far, really kind and friendly.
This picture cracks me up! What a beard and with the blue coloring, he looks like an old man.
1f602.png

I know it's a little early to tell but have any of you seen a partridge chick like this turn into a roo? No burgundy feathers coming in anywhere btw.
Most of my EE cockerels are very patchy.I've had a few partridgey ones turn out to be cockerels, but usually they are colored differently then my partridge pullets. Nothing is screaming rooster here, but that could still change. Keep us updated.

Back
Top Bottom