Easter Egger Sexing "tips and tricks" *Pictures Included*

I have read a lot on this great thread but still have questions regarding my five EE's....figure they say a picture os worth a thousand words, sooooo, here's a couple of each of my mystery chicks at about 9 weeks...what do you think? Looking forward to some other opinions! Thanks!

1) Coolest looking chick...fearful it's a 'he,' but not 100% sure...triple row comb but not really red and no sign of crowing yet...but coloring confusing...he or she? And if you can clear up the coloring question I'd appreciate it. Would this be considered orange/red on 'shoulders' if it's the top of the wings? And because it's patchy, not'dull' is that more 'he' sign than 'she?'

2) Blue/grey beard and belly, some barring on wings,even smaller comb than #1...girl?

3) Cool two-tone blue, some barring on wings...bigger comb, still pale but triple row...and not much of a tail to brag about...sigh...boy? (crossing fingers...girl,girl,girl,girl,girl!!!)

4) Color? Red/blue combo...not quite sure what he/she wants to be I guess...but love the blue beard and another small, pale comb, single row...girl?

5) Last, but not least....Ginger. Yep, she was named by my dd, who is also a ginger:) Oh yeah..thinking she's a she, but as stated before...not 100%. And, yes, I know her legs are not the usual color and her beard is pretty small...but she has to be an EE because the only other possibilities would be Blue Copper or Wheaten Marans or Bluebell, and I don't think that's what she is, and that's all I ordered--a mystery! Please share your opinion!

I have read a lot on this great thread but still have questions regarding my five EE's....figure they say a picture os worth a thousand words, sooooo, here's a couple of each of my mystery chicks at about 9 weeks...what do you think? Looking forward to some other opinions! Thanks!

1) Coolest looking chick...fearful it's a 'he,' but not 100% sure...triple row comb but not really red and no sign of crowing yet...but coloring confusing...he or she? And if you can clear up the coloring question I'd appreciate it. Would this be considered orange/red on 'shoulders' if it's the top of the wings? And because it's patchy, not'dull' is that more 'he' sign than 'she?'

2) Blue/grey beard and belly, some barring on wings,even smaller comb than #1...girl?

3) Cool two-tone blue, some barring on wings...bigger comb, still pale but triple row...and not much of a tail to brag about...sigh...boy? (crossing fingers...girl,girl,girl,girl,girl!!!)

4) Color? Red/blue combo...not quite sure what he/she wants to be I guess...but love the blue beard and another small, pale comb, single row...girl?

5) Last, but not least....Ginger. Yep, she was named by my dd, who is also a ginger:) Oh yeah..thinking she's a she, but as stated before...not 100%. And, yes, I know her legs are not the usual color and her beard is pretty small...but she has to be an EE because the only other possibilities would be Blue Copper or Wheaten Marans or Bluebell, and I don't think that's what she is, and that's all I ordered--a mystery! Please share your opinion!

I'm guessing 1 and 4 are boys,pretty sure 5 is a girl, on the fence about the other two.

I have read a lot on this great thread but still have questions regarding my five EE's....figure they say a picture os worth a thousand words, sooooo, here's a couple of each of my mystery chicks at about 9 weeks...what do you think? Looking forward to some other opinions! Thanks! 1) Coolest looking chick...fearful it's a 'he,' but not 100% sure...triple row comb but not really red and no sign of crowing yet...but coloring confusing...he or she? And if you can clear up the coloring question I'd appreciate it. Would this be considered orange/red on 'shoulders' if it's the top of the wings? And because it's patchy, not'dull' is that more 'he' sign than 'she?' 2) Blue/grey beard and belly, some barring on wings,even smaller comb than #1...girl? 3) Cool two-tone blue, some barring on wings...bigger comb, still pale but triple row...and not much of a tail to brag about...sigh...boy? (crossing fingers...girl,girl,girl,girl,girl!!!) 4) Color? Red/blue combo...not quite sure what he/she wants to be I guess...but love the blue beard and another small, pale comb, single row...girl? 5) Last, but not least....Ginger. Yep, she was named by my dd, who is also a ginger:) Oh yeah..thinking she's a she, but as stated before...not 100%. And, yes, I know her legs are not the usual color and her beard is pretty small...but she has to be an EE because the only other possibilities would be Blue Copper or Wheaten Marans or Bluebell, and I don't think that's what she is, and that's all I ordered--a mystery! Please share your opinion!
Number 2 looks an awful lot like mine who is a girl. I have no idea really, I'm very new at this and still very confused :)

Please tell me if I have 3 pullets or not. I bought 5 "sexed" pullets from a store that orders from Ideal. 2 of them are roos for sure, but surely these must be girls!? Taffy is 8 weeks old. The other two I think are maybe 6-7 weeks? The chicks weren't offered full access to food, so it seems that the latest one I bought might be a little stunted on growth right now... unless it's a rooster and is just feathering slowly. I separated the 2 roos to take pics of the hopeful girls, so the chicks were a bit stressed if you're looking at posture.
Taffy = white Jade = light gray/white Betty = last chick I bought - dark gray/brown

Here's a pic of one of the roos from just a few days ago. He is 8 weeks old now.

Last edited:
These are supposed to be female but some times one or the other makes me wonder. They are 5.5 weeks old.

Then this one.

And the last one of the three.

Mostly I think they are female but the tail feathers on the yellow especially makes me wonder.

Last edited:
Please tell me if I have 3 pullets or not. I bought 5 "sexed" pullets from a store that orders from Ideal. 2 of them are roos for sure, but surely these must be girls!? Taffy is 8 weeks old. The other two I think are maybe 6-7 weeks? The chicks weren't offered full access to food, so it seems that the latest one I bought might be a little stunted on growth right now... unless it's a rooster and is just feathering slowly. I separated the 2 roos to take pics of the hopeful girls, so the chicks were a bit stressed if you're looking at posture.
Taffy = white Jade = light gray/white Betty = last chick I bought - dark gray/brown

Here's a pic of one of the roos from just a few days ago. He is 8 weeks old now.

I'm new to sexing Easter Eggers (been going through this thread like crazy though!, viewed over 100 pages so far) but my guess is that the one in the front of these pics (Jade?)- with the black head, white chest, and such is a pullet. She's one of the closest Easter Eggers that I've seen to look like my Lotus color wise and color helps sex EEs a lot.

(This is Lotus!)​

Plus, her comb is pretty small in comparison to the dark one in the back- Betty? That one might be a cockerel in my opinion. My guess is that Taffy is a pullet as well. But remember, I'm a novice!

Reckless, how old is Lotus? She does look very similar to Jade. I am also pretty certain Taffy is a pullet. But I will be very frustrated if Betty is a boy. I specifically went back and bought that chick because I knew I already had 2 roos. Ugh. But yes, that dark red/brown is causing my worry. However, I have read that that can also depend on how it is patterned. Betty's comb hasn't really raised up any, it's just wide. All 5 of the EE's in my current batch have had different shaped combs, so there's not much to compare with.

Back
Top Bottom