Easter Egger Sexing "tips and tricks" *Pictures Included*

My 5.5 week old EE. I think she is a he, but someone suggested that I ask you all as you seem to be the EE experts. ;) This pic is about a week old, so I can get some more recent ones if needed.

Thanks!

I think we have long lost twins! I had been thinking pullet for mine, but today even with very little comb coming in there was new redness that had not been there before.

My 5.5 week old EE. I think she is a he, but someone suggested that I ask you all as you seem to be the EE experts. ;) This pic is about a week old, so I can get some more recent ones if needed.

Thanks!

This one's definitely on the edge. Coloring would be classic pullet, but there is some dark red on the wings. However, there's red coloring all over the body, so we may not have to be worried about the red on the wings. Comb is pretty wide but doesn't have any red yet. I would wait a few more weeks on this one and then post some more photos, I'm not sure either way on gender right now.

I think we have long lost twins! I had been thinking pullet for mine, but today even with very little comb coming in there was new redness that had not been there before.

How funny!!! They do look very similar! I've been looking at a ton of EE's and yours is the first that looks anything at all like Caroline/Carl. How old is yours?

This one's definitely on the edge. Coloring would be classic pullet, but there is some dark red on the wings. However, there's red coloring all over the body, so we may not have to be worried about the red on the wings. Comb is pretty wide but doesn't have any red yet. I would wait a few more weeks on this one and then post some more photos, I'm not sure either way on gender right now.
I'll try to grab a few more pictures tonight. The comb looks a more red in person when compared to my 2 other EE chicks and significantly larger. You have however given me hope! We got 10 chicks this spring and of all the chicks to be a boy I'm pretty upset that it might be one of my EE's.

I posted these three chicks before, so here is an update. Taffy (the white one) is 9 weeks old. Jade, (light gray/white with faint brown on wings) is like a week or so younger than Taffy. Betty (dark gray with dark brown on wings) could be a week or so younger than Jade. It gets confusing.

Betty, Jade, Taffy

Betty

Betty, Taffy

Taffy, Jade, Betty

Betty

Jade, Betty

Betty

Jade seems to have a pinker comb than Betty, but Jade's has not grown in several weeks. Betty has a very faint tint of pink to her's. Betty has reddish/brown coloring on the top of her wings, almost like it's on her shoulders. It only seems to be on the ends of the feathers though, and some days it looks redder than others.

Has anybody ever had a 12 wk old with a pink comb NOT end up a cockerel? Mine is rumpless so I have no tail to go by. I don't see any hackle feathers yet, not sure about saddle feathers as the wings are carried high and cover most of the back.

The babies are now 7wks. old. Would you please tell me what sex do you think they are? Their mother is an Ameracuana, and the father is a Welsummer. Only the two gray babies have cheek feathers.
Thank you!

Far right might be a boy with that pink comb.

Comb doesn't look as pink here. Is this the same chick as above?

Far left, boy for sure!
big_smile.png
Brown in back, probable boy. Front left, questionable?

Middle one a boy?

Brown in back with the pink comb is probably a boy. Not sure about the one on the left.
The one in front has very small pale comb, so I think girl.

Both the greys look like girls.
Hi Lual.
frow.gif
Unfortunately your pics would not enlarge for me, so hard to see some of the combs. The 3 brown chicks have such similar coloring, but different combs. I think you will have to wait on them to be sure. Would love an update in a week or so to see how they develop.

Hi Lual.
frow.gif
Unfortunately your pics would not enlarge for me, so hard to see some of the combs. The 3 brown chicks have such similar coloring, but different combs. I think you will have to wait on them to be sure. Would love an update in a week or so to see how they develop.
Thank you!

Far right might be a boy with that pink comb.

Comb doesn't look as pink here. Is this the same chick as above?

Thank you for your reply Wishing4Wings! Yes, they are the same chick. Surprisingly, all 6 are from the same parents but, some look so different. When their mother refused to get out of broody mode regardless of how many times I changed her place, or put her out of the coop; finally, decided to give her 6 eggs which I thought only about half of it would hatch. Well, to my surprise all did hatch..

Now I am wondering which ones are girls, if any? Your reply gave me hope that I might have couple of girls.. I had difficulty taking their photos because they are very flighty, and nearly impossible to get close. They were raised by their mother, and she did not allow us to get close to her babies. When I am able to catch them, will take photos of their heads which I hope those will be more helpful.

Lual

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom