Easter Egger Sexing "tips and tricks" *Pictures Included*

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Morgan7782, Mar 11, 2011.

1. Flowerbh

Flowerbh Overrun With Chickens

Mar 24, 2012
    Dawsonville, GA
    I spent a while trying to find that excellent example of the male/female pea combs that Kassaundra had on the thread a while back....will keep trying to find it but.....
    The male pea comb usually has three columns of rows of peas coming down his head..The middle one is larger than the two on either side of the middle one. The female usually only has the center column. I will keep trying to find you those photos. Maybe Kassaundra will repost them.

2. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG]

3. aoxa

Anyone else find male EEs only keep the pea look until a certain age?

Mine always seemed to morph into something else entirely once sexually mature.

[​IMG]
    Normal pea comb right?

[​IMG]
    Little bit older...

[​IMG]
    and BAM

4. Flowerbh

Flowerbh Overrun With Chickens

Mar 24, 2012
    Dawsonville, GA
    Hey Chics, See the 1st photo of Aoxa's post above? If you blow that up you will see the three columns I was talking about that is usually a male.

5. polarbearpilot

polarbearpilot Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2012
    Hi everyone,

I really need some help here. I've been reading many pages in this thread and I can spot a typical boy from a typical girl. Right now, I have 2 EE that I suspect are males, but just can't be sure, so I am looking for some expert's opinion in this forum.

My first one is named Pecky. 8 weeks old, has classic female feathering, and light & wide comb, BUT has very thick long legs (compared to a female of the same age), raised tail, high shoulders, and is the same size, same body shape and posture as the cockerel the same age. I keep thinking the comb will get big and red and the feather will change colors. Does anyone have one similar that turn out to be boy?
    [​IMG]
    hackle feathers?

[​IMG]
    light comb but wide

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    behind Pocky is the cockerel the same size and shape

[​IMG]

This next one is named Fuzzy Feather, but I can't seem to insert more images so I will show the pics in the next post. Thanks everyone.

6. aoxa

The first photo is Stanley at 5 weeks old. He was a slow developer in the comb region compared to some males I've had. Once he hit sexual maturity it was an overnight transformation. I did a double take and was quite confused. I don't remember him having a comb like that only a few short days before!

[​IMG]
    But to put it in perspective at 5 weeks... you can hardly see any comb at all on his sisters

[​IMG]

7. aoxa

This is definitely a girl. Hackle feathers look like a mullet almost.. Minus the business in the front part.

EE pullets have patterns on their neck feathers often times, that make them look pointier than they are.

8. aoxa

Since I did 14-16 week old sexing tips on the EEs, here are some earlier indicator illustrations I just put together:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hope this helps at least a little.

9. polarbearpilot

polarbearpilot Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2012
    Thanks Aoxa. That was a quick response. I hope you're right about Pecky. As of right now, out of 8 EE, I am only of two girls.

Here are the pictures of Fuzzy Feather, now 8 weeks old. He started out as a ball of grey. His feathering changes rapidly with all the red coming in. Comb is still small, but somewhat pink. He behaves aggressively. He's so pretty and I so hope he turns out to be a she. Thank you everyone.

[​IMG]
    Fuzzy Feather 3 days old

[​IMG]
    4 weeks old

Below are his pictures taken yesterday at 8 weeks old.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. aoxa

That there is a girl as well :)

No deep red. She is just not the typical wild duckwing pattern.

[​IMG]
    Here is the deep red I am talking about.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by