Easter Egger Sexing "tips and tricks" *Pictures Included*

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Morgan7782, Mar 11, 2011.

1. mainemommy03903

mainemommy03903 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 9, 2013
    They are 7 weeks old. Here are my girls (?) all named after plants. Would appreciate your thoughts! THANKS!

*LENA-Super sweet and loves attention/patting
    HONEY-timid but sweet
    *LILY-A suspected roo-I think I see the "up" tail feathers people are talking about. Dominant but NOT aggressive. He/she was the first to step up when I introduced the girls to the several week older silkies and defend the flock by flapping wings and chasing.
    *RUBY-Very sweet and also loves patting. She and Lena are besties. Beautiful coloring
    *DALIA-Timid and antisocial. The only chicken of the bunch who is not a fan of handling. Has always been this way since day 1.
    *VIOLET-My favorite girl. She is the first to greet me every morning and is always first in line for pats. Will even let my 14 mo son handle and pat her. She is just a love!
  2. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

None of these look like boys. # 1 needs a better picture. I can't see her feather pattern.
  3. my sunwolf

my sunwolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2012
    Southwest Virginia
    My Coop
    All pullets, 100%, no doubts. The first one has a salmon breast, the others have very classic pullet patterns and small combs.
  4. ChickenChatten

ChickenChatten Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2013
    Thought that I'd share my two Easter Eggers I posted on here ages ago. They're 19 Weeks Old and the dark one is being rehomed to a Petting Zoo today, which is a shame because he is quite the roo to look at! Unfortunately his personality didn't make up for his good looks. The lighter one we are keeping, not only is he friendly to us but I feel a need too, the other roosters nearly killed him yesterday. :-(

5. rachel82

rachel82 Out Of The Brooder

May 3, 2013
    Northern Colorado
    I think that tail feather is ready to fall off.

I am very confident that it is a girl now. :) 

She is very unique!

Thank you guys!!! I am going to keep my hopes up!! You have made me confident about hoping for a female!!! She is almost rumpless, just the few tail feathers, and maybe that is making it look more strange...? Her markings are pretty unusual, and I can't wait to see how she continues to change. I have read that sometimes after a molt their pattern will be really different, and I wonder if this will be the case with Cleo. Time will tell!
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2013
  6. mainemommy03903

mainemommy03903 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 9, 2013
    Thanks! Great odds considering I picked them up at a day old and were supposedly pullets.
  7. mckeesbackyard

mckeesbackyard Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2013
    White Mountains, AZ

This is my 5-week old Easter Egger. This splash one looks like a roo. It's always guarding the opening of the shelter & he has such a pink comb compared to the others. What do you guys think..?
  8. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

Definitely! It appears as some of the others could be as well.
  9. Wishing4Wings

Wishing4Wings Isn't it Amazing? Premium Member

May 7, 2012
    Sonoma County, CA
  10. CarolinaHen

CarolinaHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2013
    South Carolina

Thanks :) She is as sweet as she is beautiful. She looked like a cockerel with the three rows and red comb from the time I got her. Comb stayed the same size and shade of red, so I kept hoping. She is close to laying now, and I can't wait to see what color her eggs are. I'm still holding on to a black/white that has the same type comb and body
    posture on the off chance that I may have another pullet. B/W is about 12 weeks now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by