Easter Egger Sexing "tips and tricks" *Pictures Included*

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Morgan7782, Mar 11, 2011.

1. rachel82

rachel82 Out Of The Brooder

May 3, 2013
    Northern Colorado
    Ok, here are some more body shots of Cleo...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. mainemommy03903

mainemommy03903 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 9, 2013
    So much to learn about chickens. This is my first flock...I love these girls-they come out to get patted EVERY morning and night. So sweet. What are you thoughts on the sex of my six pack based on color? I'd appreciate the advice.
    PS-I've already determined reading this forum that this are not Ameraucauna's as they were sold. The coloring is a give away to their EE heritage.)
    [​IMG]

3. khoe

khoe Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2013
    Sunny California
    I'm gonna guess rooster.

4. Wishing4Wings

Wishing4Wings Isn't it Amazing? Premium Member

May 7, 2012
    Sonoma County, CA
    I think a rooster would have a much larger comb. This looks like a pullet to me, overall shape and even color pattern looks girly. I see the red on the wings, but it doesn't look patchy like you see on the cockerels. Not sure what that errant curled tail feather is all about, though. [​IMG]

5. Nickeechickee

Nickeechickee Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 23, 2012

6. Wishing4Wings

Wishing4Wings Isn't it Amazing? Premium Member

May 7, 2012
    Sonoma County, CA
    So sweet!! No obvious boys that I can see, but without closeups, it's almost impossible to tell. The bottom 2 have pullet patterning, the others could go either way. The dark one that is facing the camera in the center has a pinkish looking comb, as does the white one on the left, so may be ones to watch, but really just guessing. Age is really a factor. How old are they?

7. Motts

Motts Out Of The Brooder

May 15, 2013
    Roosterscrow, hensdeliver - what bedding are you using? It looks interesting:)

8. rachel82

rachel82 Out Of The Brooder

May 3, 2013
    Northern Colorado
    Thank you! I agree, but I am just stumped I guess. I feel like I am just going to have to wait until "something happens" to make me able to discern. I am guessing hen by behavior mostly, followed by the lack of comb, but she's a puzzler!

Last edited: Jul 9, 2013
  9. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

I think that tail feather is ready to fall off.

I am very confident that it is a girl now. :)

She is very unique!
    Reddening comb at this age is completely normal. Her comb and wattles should start getting bigger now as well. She is closing in on POL (point of lay).

Yes she will lay a varying shade of brown. Maybe so light it looks white, maybe quite dark. Could be speckled.. it could look pink. Hard to say right now :) The others should lay green or blue.

10. my sunwolf

my sunwolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2012
    Southwest Virginia
    My Coop
    Wow, she is a pullet, what bizarre markings!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by