Easter Egger Sexing "tips and tricks" *Pictures Included*

Still a bit too early on the first 3, #4 is most likely a cockerel. 

Sorry, The last one is the boy :)

I only have three chicks pictured. Which one are u thinking cockerel?

Okay thanks so much for your help! I am new to sexing EE's. So I'm just wondering what makes you think that that one is going to be a rooster. And out of all of them which one looksmore like a pullet?

I am new to and my EEs are 4 months old and I'm wondering with my black one who had the largest comb out of all my girls and is the most vocal especially when I'm holding another hen. Raven is pure black. She will fly up on my shoulder. She just acts different lol...I kind of hope she is a Roo (I bought them sexed at my County feed store so I never thought anything till recently. I'm trying to figure out how to post a pic from my cell phone. Any help would be appreciated :)

I only have three chicks pictured. Which one are u thinking cockerel?

Okay thanks so much for your help! I am new to sexing EE's. So I'm just wondering what makes you think that that one is going to be a rooster. And out of all of them which one looksmore like a pullet?
#1 looks most like pullet.

It's the comb. Your #3 has 3 raised rows of peas. Very classic for a cockerel.

I am new to and my EEs are 4 months old and I'm wondering with my black one who had the largest comb out of all my girls and is the most vocal especially when I'm holding another hen. Raven is pure black. She will fly up on my shoulder. She just acts different lol...I kind of hope she is a Roo (I bought them sexed at my County feed store so I never thought anything till recently. I'm trying to figure out how to post a pic from my cell phone. Any help would be appreciated :)
At four months old you should start to see pointy saddle & hackle feathers for sure on a boy.

This rooster is 5 1/2 months old here. Your Raven would have shorter hackles & saddles at that age, but still pointy and shiny.

The first is most definitely a pullet. I think the second one is also because the comb while longer is just a single row of bumps. The third is cockrel because of the 3 rows of bumps.

I have a friend whose nephew can sex chickens by the width or shapec of the pelvis bones. She says he is 100% right all the time. I am trying to arrange a time that I can meet him and see if he will teach me this technique. In the mean time I am going to measure my cockrels and pullets to see if there is a discernible difference between my girls and boys of the same age.
I need help sexing my 3-4 week old ee's. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Heres all of them together.

EE #1

EE #2
(#2 & #3 look almost identical except for one has more red in between its wings.)

EE #3 (one with more red between wings)

I can't wait to look! Thank you! I can post pictures onto my profile but not here. I just posted a great head shot. The comb is two layers. We have 4 EEs and two of them look hawk like while the other two have what I call Elvis hair (which Raven has) and look completely different. I bought them at the same time.

I can't wait to look! Thank you! I can post pictures onto my profile but not here. I just posted a great head shot. The comb is two layers. We have 4 EEs and two of them look hawk like while the other two have what I call Elvis hair (which Raven has) and look completely different. I bought them at the same time.
That's not enough of a comb at 16 weeks old to have me too worried, but it is not really a typical Easter Egger. Looks like a Polish mix.
Could be a boy... though my polish mix boys are 9 weeks old now and have much larger wattles!

The first is most definitely a pullet. I think the second one is also because the comb while longer is just a single row of bumps. The third is cockrel because of the 3 rows of bumps.

I have a friend whose nephew can sex chickens by the width or shapec of the pelvis bones. She says he is 100% right all the time. I am trying to arrange a time that I can meet him and see if he will teach me this technique. In the mean time I am going to measure my cockrels and pullets to see if there is a discernible difference between my girls and boys of the same age.

Thanks so much for you time and your help! One more question..out of the two that u are thinkin are pullets. Which one do u think will be more blue and produce more blue chicks?? I am breeding and just love the blues!

Back
Top Bottom