Easter Egger Sexing "tips and tricks" *Pictures Included*

I have 3 chicks almost 4 weeks old now. 2 have very long tail feathers and one has no tail feathers. They were adopted fertilized eggs so the breed is not known. I'm waiting to figure out if they are hens or roosters. No signs of '5th' claw yet. The comb of the tail-less chick is coming in orange and is more prominent then the other two. But all three posture horizontally. (I read this is common for hens). Any advice would be appreciated.

Once they are feathered, post photos. The only reliable tells at this point would be early crowing, rooster/hen specific feather patterns, or comb development. You can sometimes see a posture difference or obviously stout legs but those are quite subjective and work better with big, single-breed groups.

I need help sexing my 3-4 week old ee's. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Heres all of them together.

EE #1

EE #2
(#2 & #3 look almost identical except for one has more red in between its wings.)

EE #3 (one with more red between wings)

I have 3 chicks almost 4 weeks old now. 2 have very long tail feathers and one has no tail feathers. They were adopted fertilized eggs so the breed is not known. I'm waiting to figure out if they are hens or roosters. No signs of '5th' claw yet. The comb of the tail-less chick is coming in orange and is more prominent then the other two. But all three posture horizontally. (I read this is common for hens). Any advice would be appreciated.
My tail-less chick with a prominent comb slowly grew a beautiful iridescent tail. And now he is practicing crowing at 10 weeks. Wish I could keep him.

Back
Top Bottom