Easter Egger Sexing "tips and tricks" *Pictures Included*

(Didn't see the age the first time!) 15 weeks old? I say Pullet.... Our EE roo already has a bright red comb, and it is about 1/3 inch tall, he is 11ish weeks old.

Last edited:
Hello!! I've got a toughie on my hands. Any time that I ask, I get about 50/50 on the sex of my EE. Lately I am almost certain I have a roo on my hands, ONLY by the tail feathers. The behavior is definitely not roo-ish, at 15 weeks hardly any comb, no crowing. She does have the "red" patches, but the older she gets the more that it spreads. It is NOT just on the shoulders, it is spread through the whole body (hard to see on the pics). Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks so much in advance!!

If she is 15 weeks in the pictures, she is a pullet! Some more full body shot photos would help, of course. It would be nice to see if there are any pointed hackles or saddles. But that comb is so small, and the pattern looks to be even all the way across the body, so most likely she is a pullet.

That is most definitely a cockerel.
No. Not definitely.
If she is 15 weeks in the pictures, she is a pullet! Some more full body shot photos would help, of course. It would be nice to see if there are any pointed hackles or saddles. But that comb is so small, and the pattern looks to be even all the way across the body, so most likely she is a pullet.
I agree. 15 weeks.. no comb.. no pointy saddle feathers..

Are you sure on the age? Because if you are sure for SURE, than I'm going to agree with HeartMoss Farm.

The only way you'd be sure on age is if you had her for that long. Some people just don't give you the right age when they sell them.

Note: This one is a toughie. It is not the typical girl at all. If it is a cockerel, it is a very slow developing cockerel.

Last edited:
No. Not definitely.
I agree. 15 weeks.. no comb.. no pointy saddle feathers.. 

Are you sure on the age? Because if you are sure for SURE, than I'm going to agree with HeartMoss Farm.

The only way you'd be sure on age is if you had her for that long. Some people just don't give you the right age when they sell them. 

Note: This one is a toughie. It is not the typical girl at all. If it is a cockerel, it is a very slow developing cockerel. 

Yes, I am very sure. I have had her since march 29 and she was two days old. I can try to get some more full body shots of her to upload to see if it will help. Thanks!!

Yes, I am very sure. I have had her since march 29 and she was two days old. I can try to get some more full body shots of her to upload to see if it will help. Thanks!!
thumbsup.gif

I wasn't questioning you so much as someone who could have given her to you and you just went by their word.

I'm going with unusual pullet. Definitely not a for sure on either gender, but chances are it's a pullet based on feathering, and size of comb for that age.

I have never seen a cockerel at 15 weeks old still have rounded hackle & saddle feathers. Part the base and check to see if anything pointy is coming in just to be sure.

Here is My first EE Rooster Stanley on June 19th last year. He was 15 weeks old (+ 2 days) There is some detail for you ;) You can clearly see his pointy saddle & hackle feathers here, as well as his well pronounced comb. He had girly legs for a rooster.

Also, what about behaviour? I know you said she doesn't crow, but how does she behave? Is she very similar to the other girls in that regards? 

I have looked for the pointy feathers and I really don't see any...behavior is same as my other females. I have another rooster who acts so very different from the females, but this one does everything the other girls do. This one really has me stumped!!

I have looked for the pointy feathers and I really don't see any...behavior is same as my other females. I have another rooster who acts so very different from the females, but this one does everything the other girls do. This one really has me stumped!!

Also, here is one more pic that I had that didn't get uploaded yesterday

Also, here is one more pic that I had that didn't get uploaded yesterday
Boy that is a tough one.By just 11 weeks my white EE roo had very red large comb and pointy saddle feathers coming in.He also was crowing and dancing for the hens with attempts at mounting when he got up the nerve. Actually by 7 weeks I knew something was up with him because of the comb getting red so fast.I bought him the first day they arrived at the feed store so I'm pretty sure of the age. I'd upload a pic for comparison but its not working for me right now.If the age is correct I'm going to guess you may have a pullet. I'd hang onto it until it crows or lays then you'll know for sure.
smile.png

Ok here you go...here he is at 11 weeks ready to go to his new home since I could not keep him. He looks much different than your 15 week old. Hope this helps!!

Back
Top Bottom