Easter Egger Sexing "tips and tricks" *Pictures Included*

Ok, here are some more body shots of Cleo...

So much to learn about chickens. This is my first flock...I love these girls-they come out to get patted EVERY morning and night. So sweet. What are you thoughts on the sex of my six pack based on color? I'd appreciate the advice.
PS-I've already determined reading this forum that this are not Ameraucauna's as they were sold. The coloring is a give away to their EE heritage.)

Ok, here are some more body shots of Cleo...

I think a rooster would have a much larger comb. This looks like a pullet to me, overall shape and even color pattern looks girly. I see the red on the wings, but it doesn't look patchy like you see on the cockerels. Not sure what that errant curled tail feather is all about, though.
lol.png

Quote:
Ok...so I have a black and white single comb hen. Sounds like she will lay brown eggs then? My other two have pea/modified pea combs and have the golden-brown "typical" coloring to them - so I can hope for green or blue with them?

Also, the single-comber is turning pink now. I think they are about 15-16 weeks? should I be concerned about her hen status/repost pics? She has a more upright bearing like my roo did, but my roo's comb got super red super fast...started turning at like 6 weeks, whereas hers just started turning pink a week or two ago. She's black and white but the coloring is very even, much like the golden brown ones but in black and white - and she has some brown speckling on her chest (not the same as the brick red my roo got on his wings).

So much to learn about chickens. This is my first flock...I love these girls-they come out to get patted EVERY morning and night. So sweet. What are you thoughts on the sex of my six pack based on color? I'd appreciate the advice.
PS-I've already determined reading this forum that this are not Ameraucauna's as they were sold. The coloring is a give away to their EE heritage.)

So sweet!! No obvious boys that I can see, but without closeups, it's almost impossible to tell. The bottom 2 have pullet patterning, the others could go either way. The dark one that is facing the camera in the center has a pinkish looking comb, as does the white one on the left, so may be ones to watch, but really just guessing. Age is really a factor. How old are they?

I think a rooster would have a much larger comb. This looks like a pullet to me, overall shape and even color pattern looks girly.  I see the red on the wings, but it doesn't look patchy like you see on the cockerels.  Not sure what that errant curled tail feather is all about, though. :lol:

Thank you! I agree, but I am just stumped I guess. I feel like I am just going to have to wait until "something happens" to make me able to discern. I am guessing hen by behavior mostly, followed by the lack of comb, but she's a puzzler!

Last edited:
I think a rooster would have a much larger comb. This looks like a pullet to me, overall shape and even color pattern looks girly. I see the red on the wings, but it doesn't look patchy like you see on the cockerels. Not sure what that errant curled tail feather is all about, though.
lol.png
I think that tail feather is ready to fall off.

I am very confident that it is a girl now. :)

She is very unique!
Ok...so I have a black and white single comb hen. Sounds like she will lay brown eggs then? My other two have pea/modified pea combs and have the golden-brown "typical" coloring to them - so I can hope for green or blue with them?

Also, the single-comber is turning pink now. I think they are about 15-16 weeks? should I be concerned about her hen status/repost pics? She has a more upright bearing like my roo did, but my roo's comb got super red super fast...started turning at like 6 weeks, whereas hers just started turning pink a week or two ago. She's black and white but the coloring is very even, much like the golden brown ones but in black and white - and she has some brown speckling on her chest (not the same as the brick red my roo got on his wings).
Reddening comb at this age is completely normal. Her comb and wattles should start getting bigger now as well. She is closing in on POL (point of lay).

Yes she will lay a varying shade of brown. Maybe so light it looks white, maybe quite dark. Could be speckled.. it could look pink. Hard to say right now :) The others should lay green or blue.

Back
Top Bottom