Easter Egger Sexing "tips and tricks" *Pictures Included*

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Morgan7782, Mar 11, 2011.

1. Nickeechickee

Nickeechickee Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 23, 2012
    How do you tell what color their ears are when their heads are covered with feathers? And do EEs then have green/blue ears?

2. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    The ears stick out a bit at maturity and are visible behind the bearding from the side.

Most white-eared breeds lay white eggs and most red-eared breeds lay brown. Ear color does not determine egg color. It's a matter of regional preferences and selective breeding pairing the traits. EEs can have red, white, or a mixed ear color (red around the edges and white in the middle). They can have shades of buttermilk or even a bit of blue. But, it's all about what went in the mix and is fairly useless as a predictor of EE egg color without knowing the parentage.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  3. jan12

jan12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2013
    South Western Connecticut
    I've read a lot of posts on this thread, and I think this EE I have is a boy, though I'm really hoping it's a girl. He/she's my favorite, of course! Here's a pic @ 6 weeks old. I'd love to hear some opinions! I'm starting to see some light yellow/brown feathers on the back, breast, and the wings. Really pretty! Their combs are both pink, but the red boy has a pinker/larger comb so far.
    [​IMG]
    Here's his/her brother. I'm sure he is a boy.
    [​IMG]

4. flockmomma

flockmomma Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2013
    Wyoming
    Those are mighty prominent combs there for six weeks...hoping it is just the lighting and slight blur to the pictures.

5. jan12

jan12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2013
    South Western Connecticut
    I agree.. No, it's not the blur, unfortunately, and *sigh* yeah, I think they are both boys... I wonder if 3 roosters is too many for 8 hens? Or I may have to get another coop. LOL :)
    Thanks for your input, flockmomma.

6. sbrooks88

sbrooks88 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2013
    North Carolina
    Good morning friends!

7. Delight30

Delight30 Chillin' With My Peeps

Good Morning[​IMG]

8. ChickenFox

ChickenFox Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2013
    West Virginia
    Morning! [​IMG]

9. sbrooks88

sbrooks88 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2013
    North Carolina
    I think I have been on every forum I subscribe to even the disease and emergency forum and noone knows what could be wrong with my bantam. U guys may be my very last hope. So here it goes...and im sorry I'm posting this on EE forum....DH came home Saturday am with 3 bantam chickens. I have no clue what type but they are about a year old and they are black but look purple and green in the sunlight and one is multicolored with a lot of red. Anyway, we know the guy the chickens belonged to before we got them and no they were not taken care of. That said the 2 black ones are doing great the other little guy won't eat or drink and he stumbles alot when he walks but this is not wry neck. I've seen several cases of wry neck and this is not it. His poop smells really really bad. Like I don't even breathe when I go to care for him. That bad. He has only eaten about a tablespoon of creamed corn and half a banana since Saturday. His stools are not bloody like coccidia instead they are runny slimy yucky and white. He is very skinny and weak. I've tried to feed him with a dropper but he spits it out. Guys please tell me what to do. He's not clicking or laboring his breathing like a respiratory infection either.

10. ChickenFox

ChickenFox Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2013
    West Virginia
    I've read about trying to feed yogurt to help with icky stools but I can't remember what exactly it said. Maybe try a mixture of pedialyte, yogurt and some feed crumble mixed in? If he'll eat that a little a day maybe he'll get some energy back. Is his crop hard?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by