1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Easter Egger Sexing "tips and tricks" *Pictures Included*

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Morgan7782, Mar 11, 2011.

1. chickenluver555

chickenluver555 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2013
    Virginia
    PULLETS PULLETS PULLETS PULLETS!!!!!!!

2. CGinJCMO

CGinJCMO Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2012
    Cole County Missouri

3. BLT79

BLT79 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2013
    Western MA
    thank you! I love the look of EE's. They come in such variations!

4. sbrooks88

sbrooks88 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2013
    North Carolina
    Hi you guys! Been a while since I been on this forum! How are you all? Hope u all r doing good. :) I am down to only 2 EEs. :( we sold 10 for a generator. Pretty even trade I think. Hopefully I can get some more EEs soon. We are moving so we don't really have the best setup for a lot of chickens now. :( but in time I will get some more babies! About to make the last load. Washer an dryer. Except hubby's tools. That alone will be an all day task! Lol! Good night all! :)

5. Critter Crue

Critter Crue Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2013
    So. Cal
    Oh I hope you're right. Thank you

6. Flowerbh

Flowerbh Overrun With Chickens

Mar 24, 2012
    Dawsonville, GA
    The sad thing is you can cross two pure Ameraucanas....say a "pure"white one with a "pure" black one and you would have to call your chicks EEs because they would not fit the "standards" for color. You will have messed with the "pure" white genes and the "pure" black genes! Those chicks would no longer breed true to their color.

7. Dianne88

Dianne88 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2013
    Panhandle, FL
    Hi, I have a question about my EE, she is 10.5wks old and I've noticed some behavior changes in her. She chases the other pullets somewhat and fluffs up her hackles. I was hoping she is just clarifying her pecking order and not a Roo!?!? What is everyone's opinion looking at her pictures????
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. CatMom

CatMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2013
    Binghamton
    ;-) That may be why the chicks sold by a lot of hatcheries are called "Ameraucana" but are "really" Easter Eggers... they have non-standard/non-show-quality colors? I have had really good luck with the ones I picked out at the hatchery, as well as their daughters off a silver/splash Ameraucana (from a local breeder): all of my girls lay eggs from turquoise (one hen and her daughter produce a sort of lime-green bloom on theirs, another hen and -her- daughter's are a nice even aqua tone...) to one exceptional 2nd gen gal who lays a perfectly powder blue egg every other day.

I say I'm lucky in that I didn't want really muddy colored eggs, but now I have seen some from "olive eggers" made by crossing Ameraucana/EE's with Marans which produce a really rich tone.

Has anybody crossed Welsummer with a blue-egg layer here? I'm curious b/c Wellies are supposed to have a more reddish egg than the chocolate-color of Marans. I secretly want lilac-grey birds that lay pale purple colored eggs! LOL

9. CatMom

CatMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2013
    Binghamton
    Going out on a limb & guessing pecking order: her comb is so tiny! that should be showing more at this age if it was male, right?

10. CarolinaHen

CarolinaHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2013
    South Carolina
    I don't see anything that screams cockerel.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by