Easter Egger Sexing "tips and tricks" *Pictures Included*

I haven't had any Buttercups and I can't see the tiny comb in the photo but if it's flat with ruffled edges, I'm going to guess that's what you have. They do have tinted legs also and the down patterning looks right. I have had an EE that looked like your chick pattern-wise so I know it's possible but you'd be seeing the center raised (if anything) on the comb and the cheeks are usually puffed in an obvious way.

The adult looks like my Campine except for the comb and the weightier body. That would explain the leopardy spots.
That does look very much like a buttercup. Wait a few more days for its wings to start getting feathers, and if it looks like this pic then it is diffidently a Buttercup.
baby Buttercup chicks

Adult Buttercup

This chick is one day shy of 5 weeks old. Dad was an Easter Egger, Mom was an Easter Egger laying green eggs.

Am I seeing a cockerel here? I Know it is a little early, but does anyone have any opinion?

I took this picture to help sex my chicks. They are about 8 weeks old. None of them have that red coming in on the shoulders that our other rooster did.

Then one crowed.

Coupled the comb with that, I'm hoping there's only one boy.
Being a complete newbie, I hope it's not too silly to ask if - you have more than one cockerel, will they all crow too? or only the most dominant? Are they like human boys, where making the most noise elevates your status among your peers? This guy is actually the smallest of our chickens. Also, it's a little hard to see in the pictures, his tail feathers are the only ones are the only ones that are smooth and neat and even. The others, which I'm hoping are all girls, have messy tails. Is that typical?

Oops, I forgot the others. Girls?
fl.gif

They are Ameraucana x Cochin.
I realize that there is very little chance that (should they all actually make it to adulthood and lay eggs that get hatched) the next generation of chicks would produce colored eggs, because the cockerel does not have a pea comb.

Oops, I forgot the others. Girls?
fl.gif

They are Ameraucana x Cochin.
I realize that there is very little chance that (should they all actually make it to adulthood and lay eggs that get hatched) the next generation of chicks would produce colored eggs, because the cockerel does not have a pea comb.

Are you sure they are crossed with a Cochin? I feel like I'd be seeing at least a few feathers on the feet if they were...

That being said, I'm concerned with the size of the comb on the last black one, it's pretty big and red for only 8 weeks old. The more salmon colored one in the middle has a pretty red comb as well but it doesn't look too big. I'm going to go with 2/4 of your birds being cockerels, including the black one.

Thank you, HeartMoss Farm.
I was a little disappointed not to see feathered feet, myself. But the two roos at the farm were AM and Cochin, and the hens were AM, Cochin, and a couple of Barred Rock. I was given eggs that were all blueish, plus a few big Cochin eggs that were light brown. The brown chick hatched from one of those eggs, the others were all from the blue eggs.
At least they are all sweet tempered and silly. The Hooliganchicks play with them all the time. (Maybe next year I can get them to do the chicken math and we'll have "enough" chickens
lol.png
)
I guess I'll hear crowing at some point if Toothless is a boy.
- Hooligan Mummy

Back
Top Bottom