Easter Egger Sexing "tips and tricks" *Pictures Included*

These are our very first chicks. We bought them a local hatchery as Ameraucana's, I now know better. Anyway, they are about 5-6 weeks old now and I am wondering about their sex. Any ideas yet? Or am I too soon? The light one is Chiquita, the gray one is Ginger (fingers crossed)

PULLETS PULLETS PULLETS PULLETS!!!!!!!

Quote: I have an AustraWhite cockerel that's 5 months old, no older roos (butchered the one two weeks ago) and 4 out of 5 of his sisters are laying eggs. No crowing. I keep looking for saddle/hackle feathers verifying that it's a male but I'm not finding them. His comb and waddles are bigger than the other AustraWhite pullet and he turned red early (like 3 months or so) so I know he's got to be a he. I assumed that he'll eventually be butchered but now I've got in the back of my mind if he's really a she. LOL
This chick is one day shy of 5 weeks old. Dad was an Easter Egger, Mom was an Easter Egger laying green eggs.

Am I seeing a cockerel here? I Know it is a little early, but does anyone have any opinion?
I think you are but you'll be more sure in a week or two.
Quote: Sex links can't be used to make more sexlinks. And yes, i think anytime you cross an Ameracauna with non Ameracauna you get an EE. But, the egg color is what I think most people want when getting EEs and I don't know that you can guarantee that you're getting a colored egg (blue or green).

CG

I have an AustraWhite cockerel that's 5 months old, no older roos (butchered the one two weeks ago) and 4 out of 5 of his sisters are laying eggs. No crowing. I keep looking for saddle/hackle feathers verifying that it's a male but I'm not finding them. His comb and waddles are bigger than the other AustraWhite pullet and he turned red early (like 3 months or so) so I know he's got to be a he. I assumed that he'll eventually be butchered but now I've got in the back of my mind if he's really a she. LOL
I think you are but you'll be more sure in a week or two.
Sex links can't be used to make more sexlinks. And yes, i think anytime you cross an Ameracauna with non Ameracauna you get an EE. But, the egg color is what I think most people want when getting EEs and I don't know that you can guarantee that you're getting a colored egg (blue or green).

CG
thank you! I love the look of EE's. They come in such variations!

Hi you guys! Been a while since I been on this forum! How are you all? Hope u all r doing good. :) I am down to only 2 EEs. :( we sold 10 for a generator. Pretty even trade I think. Hopefully I can get some more EEs soon. We are moving so we don't really have the best setup for a lot of chickens now. :( but in time I will get some more babies! About to make the last load. Washer an dryer. Except hubby's tools. That alone will be an all day task! Lol! Good night all! :)

A few questions here.....
WAs looking at the description of the sex link on EEs to tell a male or not. I have a lavender Amercauna roo that crossed with my LIght Brahma hens and maybe one Buff Orpington or splash Orp hen(not sure the splash was laying at that time of egg collection )

The chicks a week old now were mostly lavender just like a true LAM but .2 were yellow with black dot on a couple places. and feathered legs so SURE those 2 are the LB hens chicks
BUT..NOne of the lav chicks have the feathered legs.Look indentical to a full LAMs chick so far..1 week old

Will all part Brahmas have feathered legs?

Ive read a cross of a pure Amercauna roo /hen with any other breed is considered an EE.True?
If so would the sex link of reds or white on hackles back etc hold true on my lavenders if the roo is all silver?

Pic of 2 chicks below

The sad thing is you can cross two pure Ameraucanas....say a "pure"white one with a "pure" black one and you would have to call your chicks EEs because they would not fit the "standards" for color. You will have messed with the "pure" white genes and the "pure" black genes! Those chicks would no longer breed true to their color.

Hi, I have a question about my EE, she is 10.5wks old and I've noticed some behavior changes in her. She chases the other pullets somewhat and fluffs up her hackles. I was hoping she is just clarifying her pecking order and not a Roo!?!? What is everyone's opinion looking at her pictures????

;-) That may be why the chicks sold by a lot of hatcheries are called "Ameraucana" but are "really" Easter Eggers... they have non-standard/non-show-quality colors? I have had really good luck with the ones I picked out at the hatchery, as well as their daughters off a silver/splash Ameraucana (from a local breeder): all of my girls lay eggs from turquoise (one hen and her daughter produce a sort of lime-green bloom on theirs, another hen and -her- daughter's are a nice even aqua tone...) to one exceptional 2nd gen gal who lays a perfectly powder blue egg every other day.

I say I'm lucky in that I didn't want really muddy colored eggs, but now I have seen some from "olive eggers" made by crossing Ameraucana/EE's with Marans which produce a really rich tone.

Has anybody crossed Welsummer with a blue-egg layer here? I'm curious b/c Wellies are supposed to have a more reddish egg than the chocolate-color of Marans. I secretly want lilac-grey birds that lay pale purple colored eggs! LOL

Hi, I have a question about my EE, she is 10.5wks old and I've noticed some behavior changes in her. She chases the other pullets somewhat and fluffs up her hackles. I was hoping she is just clarifying her pecking order and not a Roo!?!? What is everyone's opinion looking at her pictures????
Going out on a limb & guessing pecking order: her comb is so tiny! that should be showing more at this age if it was male, right?

I don't see anything that screams cockerel.

Back
Top Bottom