Easter Egger Sexing "tips and tricks" *Pictures Included*

Now can someone tell my 3 week old splash laced wyandotte roo he is NOT a bad a**, and to quit trying to pick a fight with everyone else in the brooder??
My Easter Egger was super aggressive starting at 2 weeks. People told me "it's normal. They are just sorting out the pecking order." Since I'm new to chickens I believed it was normal until last week when he tried to eliminate one of the other chicks. Now they are separated and he's moving out with the big hens tomorrow. Hopefully yours doesn't get worse and they all learn to get along.

I'm hoping that it's okay that I post this here. I'm not entirely sure what breed of bird I have. I was told Easter Egger by the seller, but since I have found out my supposed Dominiques are in fact Barred Rocks. Needless to say, I'm not confident that my EE's are what they are supposed to be. So...if you have a moment, and know the breed/sex (I have a feeling that my EE's are all cockerels), please help me out. They are 9 weeks old. I'm looking to downsize right away. I can't keep Roos. Thanks in advance.

#1 Cockerel, based on comb size and color.

#2-I'm confused by this guy. Not an EE, is he?
Could very well be EE based on the pea comb. Cockerel.

Cockerel with a mixed comb.

#4-This bird is beautiful. Mostly black with green streaking through the body and tail. He? has one white feather on the left side. I wish I'd gotten a better pic of the comb. Camera shy...
Looks like a cockerel with that tail and red comb showing in the second picture.

#5-I know this one isn't an Egger. I'm also confused by this one. I'm pretty sure it's a Roo. He doesn't have the same comb as the other Barred Rocks though and he doesn't have wattles. Any direction would be appreciated.
Why do you think it's not EE? Did it come from a different person? It has a mixed pea comb and lack of wattles goes with the bearded types, even though this one is beardless. Cockerel

And here's a pic of one of the other Barred Roo for comparison. Did I just get a mixed breed?
The barring on these two is unlike what you usually see, so thinking they are mixes. In barred breeds, cockerels have more white, while pullets are darker. Cockerel
The bad news is you have quite a few cockerels that you can't keep. The good news is you know how to tell which ones are cockerels because they all look like it to me! My EE started crowing at 13 weeks, so you won't have long to wait for the ultimate confirmation.

Last edited:
The bad news is you have quite a few cockerels that you can't keep. The good news is you know how to tell which ones are cockerels because they all look like it to me! My EE started crowing at 13 weeks, so you won't have long to wait for the ultimate confirmation.
Thank you so much for your time. I have 7 pullets that are a barred pattern, darker with smaller combs. I was questioning the breed of the barred bird pictured because I was told I was buying dominiques and EEs when I purchased them. Since taking pictures and asking about gender, I've been told differently here. I was just trying to figure what I have so I can downsize. I really wanted some colored eggs. Any chance a barred bird crossed with an EE would produce a colored egg? They birds were 2-3 days old when I picked them up. Thanks again!

I do have a pic of her comb, this was taken yesterday, I just wasnt able to get a full body shot then- it was their first day outside and things were way too exciting to sit still

It's hard to tell if the comb has one or three rows from an angle. It looks wide but light. I think you have to wait a few more weeks to know for sure, but based on what I see, I am still leaning pullet.

Challenge!

This bird is about 14 weeks. The comb hasn't changed at all in the two and a half weeks I've had it. Some time before I got it, it had a lot of feathers pulled out of its back by another chicken, so they're still growing back in. The back feathers coming in have a little rust on them, and there are a few small rust spots near the wing tips. There's no red or orange that I can detect around the shoulders. At 14 weeks, it doesn't crow. It's not very vocal in general. It will make a kind of cheeping noise, almost like a chick. Here are the pics. It's feathers are a little mussed; I had it in a towel for medical purposes. The eye you can't see got pecked and isn't doing very well. :-(

I'm hoping for girl. This is the friendliest bird I have. When I had it wrapped up this morning, looking at the bad eye, it fell asleep, purring in my hand.
I'll still keep it if it's a boy, though. ;-)

The way the tail feathers look to me says Roo. The back looks almost exactly like my Roo when he was about that age. But the comb is not very red or large, so it still could be a hen. I am no expert though! LOL

Quote: So all your EEs ended up cockerels?!
sad.png
What are the chances!

Yes, you can get a green egg out of an EE crossed with a barred bird. Most of the time, the gene for blue shells is passed along with the pea comb gene, so you will have a better chance if your barred pullets have pea combs. (Not 100%, just a higher probability.) However, Dominiques have rose combs, so it would be hard to tell rose from pea until they are bigger. If they have straight combs, then
idunno.gif
. Do any of your barred pullets have muffs and beards?

Not sure why those black and white cockerels couldn't be Dominiques. They look more cuckoo than barred. Those guys have 2 different comb types, so it's really hard to say, but the barring is too uneven to be BR. I think they are mixed. I couldn't see enough of the pullets to tell. (If I even could. They are so similar)

Breeders who are trying to keep lines of specific breeds will keep breeding pens of birds and track the development of the chicks, keeping only the ones that exhibit qualities of the Standard (or whatever quality is desired) to keep in their breeding program. Casual breeders, who have some chickens they like and are happy trying to get more chickens they like, will often run the whole flock together and let nature take its course. Then there is always the problem of roosters showing up where they don't belong. The sperm from a "fence hopper" can stay in a hen and fertilize eggs for up to 3 weeks. One sneaky rooster can wreak havoc on the best of plans. Also, once you get several generations out mixing breeds, all sorts of things can pop up. My point is, I'm thinking the person you got your birds from is more like a casual breeder. She told you the possible parental breeds, so I think you can rely on that info. How pure the birds are is another story. Unless you are showing, purity isn't such an issue. It is an issue if you paid big bucks for something you didn't get. Hope you get some green eggs!

So all your EEs ended up cockerels?!
sad.png
What are the chances!

Yes, you can get a green egg out of an EE crossed with a barred bird. Most of the time, the gene for blue shells is passed along with the pea comb gene, so you will have a better chance if your barred pullets have pea combs. (Not 100%, just a higher probability.) However, Dominiques have rose combs, so it would be hard to tell rose from pea until they are bigger. If they have straight combs, then
idunno.gif
. Do any of your barred pullets have muffs and beards?

Not sure why those black and white cockerels couldn't be Dominiques. They look more cuckoo than barred. Those guys have 2 different comb types, so it's really hard to say, but the barring is too uneven to be BR. I think they are mixed. I couldn't see enough of the pullets to tell. (If I even could. They are so similar)

Breeders who are trying to keep lines of specific breeds will keep breeding pens of birds and track the development of the chicks, keeping only the ones that exhibit qualities of the Standard (or whatever quality is desired) to keep in their breeding program. Casual breeders, who have some chickens they like and are happy trying to get more chickens they like, will often run the whole flock together and let nature take its course. Then there is always the problem of roosters showing up where they don't belong. The sperm from a "fence hopper" can stay in a hen and fertilize eggs for up to 3 weeks. One sneaky rooster can wreak havoc on the best of plans. Also, once you get several generations out mixing breeds, all sorts of things can pop up. My point is, I'm thinking the person you got your birds from is more like a casual breeder. She told you the possible parental breeds, so I think you can rely on that info. How pure the birds are is another story. Unless you are showing, purity isn't such an issue. It is an issue if you paid big bucks for something you didn't get. Hope you get some green eggs!
Yep, every darn one of the EEs is a cockerel! I think maybe next year I will try again. For now, I have my hands full learning the ropes. I'll attach some pics of the pullet barred birds. I'm such a novice, the comb thing is a confusing to me-especially on young birds. It's hard for me to tell a difference.

Here's a few shots of the pullets. They were taken a few weeks back, but they look pretty much the same today, just a bit more round. They are sweet birds. Climb up on my back if I sit with them. All of them have the same markings and combs.

Thanks again. You've been very kind and helpful!

Back
Top Bottom