Easter Egger Sexing "tips and tricks" *Pictures Included*

Thanks for the help. I really wanted it to be a roo, so i could possibly get olive egger chicks from my maran, but oh well. Hopefully olive egger chick or maran chicks under my broody hen end up being a roo. Just one though, dont need 4 roos.

Ok, been curious about my flock's gender lately. They are 4 & 5 weeks old. Any thoughts appreciated! I'm hoping to get 3-4 hens out of these 6 chicks. All are from an EE roo, some red/buff breeds mixed in with the hens. All from the same flock, two hatchings (5/30 and 6/6).

^^^ This one does have 3 rows of combs, but the center is definitely larger than the sides, and it's very light still. 4 weeks old.

^^^ These two are older, 5/30 (5 weeks). Largest of the flock and smallest of the flock. Larger one does have 3 rows, but again, lighter and center row is much larger than the outer two. She is VERY friendly and loves snuggling and hand fed treats.

^^^ This one is very silvery. Single comb so far it seems, light colored. Are the fail feathers a sign of a roo?

^^^ 4 weeks old, dominant personality, very "brave", 3 rows of combs (somewhat more even and darker than the other chicks). The general consensus so far on this one is that it's a cockerel.

^^^ 4 weeks old, totally white (was yellow at hatching). Almost NO comb, etc.

Any thoughts?? Thanks!!
Top yellow chick - need more time but I am leaning roo due to thick legs, pointy tail and eagle head.
2nd and 3rd chicks - brown/gold neck is a girl, reddish brown/eagle head is a boy.
4th silver chick - most likely a boy due to patchy spots on wings and pointy tail.
5th black/grey chick - feather pattern is that of a girl. Need to see close up shot of comb to confirm.
6th white chick - most likely girl.

Please post back when you know for sure.

Last time i posted, i posted 6 chicks. One was thought to be male, but at 14 weeks, its comb it still fairly flat, 3 rows, and pink. There arent any signs of pointy hackle or saddle feathers. To me the coloring looks even, so im going to double check. The comb size is no different from the pullets. Here it is at 14 week:
pretty pullet!

@IndigoChicken12 . I like your avatar, very cute. As for your 6 wk white chick, it looks more pullet to me. It looks like the markings are on the light side (not the deep red, rust color of a roo) and seem to be all over the body, probably will be lacing when it's fully feathered out. I hope the markings won't get darker which then mean it's a boy. Please post back when you know for sure.
@polarbearpilot Thanks! I like it too.
tongue.png
It's good to hear that most people are leaning towards pullet. We are about to go on vacation, and it would not be good if it started crowing while we were gone...Our house/animal sitters would most likely not enjoy that lol. I'll put up a post when we get back, hopefully it will be more obvious then.

Can I get some thoughts on this one? The coloring is really throwing me. It's feathers are all mussed up in the second two pictures because I had been holding it. It's about 4-6 weeks or somewhere thereabouts.

Last edited:
Can I get some thoughts on this one? The coloring is really throwing me. It's feathers are all mussed up in the second two pictures because I had been holding it. It's about 4-6 weeks or somewhere thereabouts.

Looks like a cockerel to me. The comb is visible in profile and seems pretty red in the pics. (A straight on close up of the comb would help.) It has areas of dark and light feathers too. Someone recently commented that a black "cape" around the back of the neck indicates a male. Yours isn't quite black, but definitely darker in that area. The orange/gold breast is throwing me off for some reason, but still thinking cockerel. We'll see what everyone thinks.

Looks like a cockerel to me.  The comb is visible in profile and seems pretty red in the pics.  (A straight on close up of the comb would help.)  It has areas of dark and light feathers too.  Someone recently commented that a black "cape" around the back of the neck indicates a male.  Yours isn't quite black, but definitely darker in that area.  The orange/gold breast is throwing me off for some reason, but still thinking cockerel.  We'll see what everyone thinks.

Yeah the comb has me slightly concerned. I'll try and get a better picture of the comb. The dumb chick is so hard to photograph! It's supposed to be a "blue-red americauna" according to the breeder I got it from. It was just an extra with an order of other breeds I had placed. I'm sure it's just an EE so no matter there but since it's supposed to be blue-red I'm not sure what to expect from it as far as pullet vs cockerel coloring. All the feathers so far are perfectly rounded and the breeder claims to be able to feather sex his blue-reds fairly well and says this should be a pullet. Lol. I'm not putting much stock in his feather sexing at all though. I've had too many EEs to fall for that.
1f609.png
the color on the breast is throwing me too because I thought usually salmon on the breast was a pullet thing.

Yeah the comb has me slightly concerned. I'll try and get a better picture of the comb. The dumb chick is so hard to photograph! It's supposed to be a "blue-red americauna" according to the breeder I got it from. It was just an extra with an order of other breeds I had placed. I'm sure it's just an EE so no matter there but since it's supposed to be blue-red I'm not sure what to expect from it as far as pullet vs cockerel coloring. All the feathers so far are perfectly rounded and the breeder claims to be able to feather sex his blue-reds fairly well and says this should be a pullet. Lol. I'm not putting much stock in his feather sexing at all though. I've had too many EEs to fall for that.
1f609.png
the color on the breast is throwing me too because I thought usually salmon on the breast was a pullet thing.
he is blue, that's why the "cape" is blue and not black.

I am reading the thread regarding btinks chick and you all have me curious about the colors of my rooster, rocket, would you consider him "blue/red", I'm not really even sure what that means. But would be interested to know how these EE are color classified.

I am reading the thread regarding btinks chick and you all have me curious about the colors of my rooster, rocket, would you consider him "blue/red", I'm not really even sure what that means. But would be interested to know how these EE are color classified.

I'm new to all this so I'm not sure. But, I wanted to say, he is beautiful! :)

Back
Top Bottom