Easter Egger Sexing "tips and tricks" *Pictures Included*

My birds are now about 6 weeks. I am hoping they're all girls, of course, despite 2 of them having boys names. (Blame my kids and their goofy senses of humor!) 3 EE's and 2 Buckeyes. What is everybody's best guess?

Group shot just for fun
Looks like you got a nice variety of colors in your girls (they all look like girls to me, too).

I agree w/ S A Farm on this one being a boy. He is most likely not the dominant rooster so he doesn't crow as much or as early. Just give him some time.
Thanks very much for your help! Haha poor Egwene seems destined to be a cockerel, no one has thought pullet yet
hu.gif
This is probably a stupid question...but does that mean if I re-home the more dominant rooster, then Egwene would possibly show me if she is really a he by starting to crow and stepping into the more dominant rooster role?

Great looking bird. Boy or girl, I hope you keep him either way.
yesss.gif
lol, thank you! I love Egwene's coloring, her(his) feathers are so pretty(handsome) with the golden accents on the grey background! Its nice to hear someone else compliment her(him)! I am going to try to keep this chick either way, at least as long as there aren't any problems with any of the other chicks.

Hi! One of my broodies hatched these guys 6 weeks ago. They are from a pen with both true Ameraucana and Easter Eggers. If you can help me with sexing them I would be super happy!

Chick A

Chick A

Chick B

Chick B has the same comb as Chick A

here are B's legs

Chick C

Any ideas would be appreciated I can get better pics tonight if it isn't clear enough. I also will answer any questions if you have them. Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Thanks very much for your help! Haha poor Egwene seems destined to be a cockerel, no one has thought pullet yet
hu.gif
This is probably a stupid question...but does that mean if I re-home the more dominant rooster, then Egwene would possibly show me if she is really a he by starting to crow and stepping into the more dominant rooster role?
With the more dominant gone, it may take a few weeks, but Egwene *should* start crowing.

Hi! One of my broodies hatched these guys 6 weeks ago. They are from a pen with both true Ameraucana and Easter Eggers. If you can help me with sexing them I would be super happy!

Chick A

Chick A

Chick B

Chick B has the same comb as Chick A

here are B's legs

Chick C

Any ideas would be appreciated I can get better pics tonight if it isn't clear enough. I also will answer any questions if you have them. Thanks in advance!
From these pictures, they look rather like pullets, but the darkness with the flash could be concealing colors that would say otherwise. You want natural light and ideally a side and comb view to make it easier to tell. Stance and the way the tail is naturally held also say a lot.
thumbsup.gif

From these pictures, they look rather like pullets, but the darkness with the flash could be concealing colors that would say otherwise. You want natural light and ideally a side and comb view to make it easier to tell. Stance and the way the tail is naturally held also say a lot.
thumbsup.gif

Thank you. two are solid one dark blue and one light...they came from a mixed EE and AM pen with BBS AM roos so those two may be AMs. The other chick C was hatched blue and red but over time the red has faded and it is pretty much a dark grey. It has a a little of the red coloring scattered through some of the feathers and there is a bit of red on its head. I will get better pics and post them tomorrow. Thanks again.

hu.gif

That was what happened with my 2nd rank rooster. It started to crow and took over the flock a few days after the alpha male was rehomed.

Dad

Mom

Chick

It has a straight comb and fungus on its legs. I imagine whatever was used to make them this lovely color is still coming through At one month I am thinking boy
sad.png
The mom and dad are so BEAUTIFUL.
love.gif
They look like Ameraucanas but with feathered legs. What are they mixed with? As for the chick, I am not familiar with how big the single comb should be for little boys, so I'll leave that for others more experienced to guess. Hope it's a girl.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom