Easter Egger Sexing "tips and tricks" *Pictures Included*

I also looked closely at the comb and only saw one row not the 3 rows that most cockerels have. But then some boys have one-row combs, so you can't guess on that alone. The comb is wide and the color is light and it has a triangle shape which I see more often in girls. Can you take a side pic of the chick standing? Sometimes, you can tell by the posture. For now, I am leaning toward girl.

I was wondering if these solid (darker orange) patches could point to male. (Above is not my photo, but I have some younger chicks with the same color and pattern: Mostly the pullet orange but a few darker orange areas.) I agree this particular chick looks girlish b/c the face & the legs look thin.

Marshmallow seems to have three distinct rows in the comb, and at seven weeks, if the comb is also pinking up quickly, it is looking more and more like a male. I am not sure about the OE, you mentioned you were pretty sure it was also a boy, Is it crowing? Sometimes if one boy is dominant, the others don't dare crow.

I was wondering if these solid (darker orange) patches could point to male.  (Above is not my photo, but I have some younger chicks with the same color and pattern:  Mostly the pullet orange but a few darker orange areas.)  I agree this particular chick looks girlish b/c the face & the legs look thin.

EEs who are orange or red are trickier because their coloring will just be like that all over. Looking for patchiness, indicative of a male, opposed to patterns which are more even, would indicate females. With an orange or red EE it is usually best to look at the other characteristics, such as the comb pinkness or pea rows, the leg thickness, or saddle and hackle feathers coming in pointy shaped. Try posting a picture of your EE, particularly a good shot of the comb is most helpful.

I have a little chick of unsure parentage, but I'm thinking it is an EE or EE cross. It does have small cheek poufs, and a pea comb, chipmunk markings, and yellow legs. And even though "her" feathering looks feminine so far, and "she" is feathering very quickly, the comb appears to be developing three rows. Any guesses on this one? It's only 2.5 weeks so far, so too early to be sure of anything, so just looking for educated guesses.

Yeah, I saw the red too, I'm definitely leaning roo on this one. I'll give him/her a little longer to be sure. He is the last left from our hatch, I already found homes for the girls but didn't want to give a suspected roo to new chicken owners!

Marshmallow seems to have three distinct rows in the comb, and at seven weeks, if the comb is also pinking up quickly, it is looking more and more like a male. I am not sure about the OE, you mentioned you were pretty sure it was also a boy, Is it crowing? Sometimes if one boy is dominant, the others don't dare crow.
I agree, Marshmallow is a cockerel. That much color in comb at that age...almost a definite! I'd go cockerel on the OE too.

I have a little chick of unsure parentage, but I'm thinking it is an EE or EE cross. It does have small cheek poufs, and a pea comb, chipmunk markings, and yellow legs. And even though "her" feathering looks feminine so far, and "she" is feathering very quickly, the comb appears to be developing three rows. Any guesses on this one? It's only 2.5 weeks so far, so too early to be sure of anything, so just looking for educated guesses.

That is alot of size in a pea comb for a 2 1/2 week old...but legs and tail are looking very feminine??
LOL - she/he's a ???!!!

Quote: Going by my EE's comb at 7 weeks old, I'd say you have both pullets.
My cockerel (below) And my pullet

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom