Easter Egger Sexing "tips and tricks" *Pictures Included*

I posted these three chicks before, so here is an update. Taffy (the white one) is 9 weeks old. Jade, (light gray/white with faint brown on wings) is like a week or so younger than Taffy. Betty (dark gray with dark brown on wings) could be a week or so younger than Jade. It gets confusing.

Betty, Jade, Taffy

Betty

Betty, Taffy

Taffy, Jade, Betty

Betty

Jade, Betty

Betty

Jade seems to have a pinker comb than Betty, but Jade's has not grown in several weeks. Betty has a very faint tint of pink to her's. Betty has reddish/brown coloring on the top of her wings, almost like it's on her shoulders. It only seems to be on the ends of the feathers though, and some days it looks redder than others.
Anymore thoughts or comments on these "girls?"

Anymore thoughts or comments on these "girls?"
The youngest, Betty, is questionable. The pictures don't show the comb clearly, but it looks to be larger in profile than the others. If it turns red in the next week or two, probably a cockerel. If not, then she can keep her name.
smile.png
The other 2 look like pullets.

Here is the female explanation. Sometimes the pattern on the hackle feathers appears pointy, it is not. Take a white piece of paper (or cloth) and old it under the hackle feathers. You will see that it's the pattern that is misleading you. There are other traits with the EEs that help distinguish identity far before these traits become apparent at 12-14 weeks. First thing you want to watch for is uneven pattern. Usually uneven patterns are boys. Any deep red in wings in blotchy sequences. Girls often have uniform patterns all over. You can see that clearly in my girl above.
These are fantastic diagrams!!! Thanks so much, the visual really helps!!

Here are some better comb shots. Jade's is still redder in color than Betty's.

Jade

Betty

The combs are pretty similar, but it is Betty's coloring (dark breast) that is making me wonder. Jade looks like a pullet, and Betty may very well be also. She's about 7 weeks? (Jade 8 wks)? I'd give Betty at least another week; just not sure. Hope some others give their opinions! Both birds are really pretty. Fingers crossed for you!

I think this is a pullet. I had one very similar and the orange first started on the shoulders and I got scared but then it spread to an overall pattern. Shes a very pretty gal now.

Gorgeous! Love that coloring! At what age were those pictures taken? It's so interesting seeing how much they change in such a short period of time.

Thanks, Wishing4Wings. Betty does continue to change colors as she/he feathers out. Jade is quickly becoming my favorite, so I truly hope she is a pullet. She does have a low posture just like Taffy.

I got a quick question or two. Can EE be feather-sexed? I got 7 about 2 weeks ago and they were feather sexed. Just asking cause I see that most of the ones were are sexed due to their coloring and features. Also, is it possible for full EEs to have feathers on their legs? I have 2 that have feathers down their legs. Not on the feet or toes just down the leg. Thank you for your help.

Back
Top Bottom